CHAPTER 19 - Two Steps Forward

"I'm home", Dara kissed her dad's cheek and turned to him. "Hi Jiro", she said, giving him a sweet smile. He just nodded his head in acknowledgement and then, she entered the house. He never returned her smile, but the girl never failed to give her one, which warms his heart. She has been like that ever since he first met her when they were kids – sweet, caring and sincere. And when he met her again during his darkest hours, her smile made him want to give life another chance. For once after so many years, someone looked at him without bearing judgement that he often sees in strangers' eyes. When he learned that Dara is the same girl that he encountered during his childhood, he vowed to himself that he will protect her smile.

"I worry for her", her father said as they sat at the porch, drinking beer after a long day. "It's only the two of us left. If something happens to me..." He cut himself off and sighed heavily. "Sometimes, the society is not as kind as it seems. People rely on connections – family, friends, and acquaintances. Dara has no one to rely on but me. But, I'm afraid I'm not strong enough." He gulped down his beer and looked at Jiro.

"Son, can you promise to protect my daughter if something happens to me?"

"Nothing will happen to you."

"The future is blurry for all of us", he said and stared at him intently, until Jiro nodded in response.

"I promise", he mumbled. It shouldn't be that hard, right? He planned to protect Dara anyway as a token of gratitude to his father and as his vow to himself.

"Thank you", Mr. Ramirez said in relief. "I've been thinking of her future recently. Even if I'm not here anymore, I want her to lead a happy life – finish her studies, find a job that she wants, and find a good man. I want her to be married to a good family; one that will shelter her", he said, his eyes focused elsewhere.

Jiro's grip on the bottle that he was holding tightened. One thing is for sure, he cannot be the man that her father wanted for her. He understood where the old man is coming from, though. Having lost his job in his former company because of restructuring and almost running out of money, Jiro knew that Dara's father only wants stability for his daughter. And stability is something that he cannot guarantee, because he has no one but himself – no family to help him in times of trouble, no money to ensure his future.

"Will you also protect my dream for my daughter, Jiro?" He asked in an almost inaudible voice.  

Jiro's heart clenched at what he's asking from him. Still, he answered, "I will."

If protecting his dream for his daughter is his only chance to stay beside her, he will grit his teeth and watch her fulfill it...even if in the end, he has to swallow his own pain and fade away.

Jiro's eyes fluttered open, his vision still a bit blurry from sleep but his dream about his conversation with Dara's father a day before he passed away is still vivid in his mind. He tried to move, but a weight in his arm prevented him to do so. Turning his head to the side, he frowned upon seeing Dara sleeping soundly beside him.

He tried to recall what happened the night before. He was sure Picaro and Bonsai dumped him in his place after he consumed massive amount of alcohol, but why the hell is he in Dara's house? Bit by bit, his memories forcibly registered in his brain. The two idiots dropped him in Dara's place instead of his house after getting him drunk, those morons!