CHAPTER 34 - Their Journey

There was a rush of movements around her, everyone moving in panic. Her shouts were drowned by the commotion. Her eyes widened in terror as she watched everything unfold.

Dara pressed herself against the wall as the students crowded the hallway, pushing each other as they dashed toward the stairs while the guys tried to block the outside gangs that were wreaking havoc inside the Arts Building.

"Riko!" she shouted again to catch the attention of the girl who stood rigidly at the end of the hallway, unable to move because of fear. Riko's face was becoming pale as she darted her eyes around in fright, not knowing what to do and where to go since almost everyone was running in every direction.

"Riko!" Dara struggled to get to her. When she finally reached her, Dara grabbed Riko by the shoulders and shook her forcefully. "Riko! We have to get out of here!"

"D-Dara," she mumbled in a breathless voice.

"Follow me. Let's go to the rooftop instead of going down. I heard the outside gangs are blocking the entrance of the Arts Building."

Riko did not utter another word and followed Dara, their hands linked together as they dashed toward the empty hallway to the left. Her chest constricted in panic whenever they passed by brawls in the hallway and in those moments, she felt Dara's grip on her hand getting firm, as if assuring her that everything would be fine. When they were about to reach the stairs going to the rooftop, Riko finally let out a sigh of relief, but her relief did not last long.

As they turned to the corner going toward the stairs, the two girls yelped when Hawk suddenly blocked their path. Still gripping Riko's hand, Dara was about to run in the opposite direction, but Hawk suddenly lunged toward her and grabbed her neck, forcibly pushing Dara against the wall.

"Found you," he said menacingly. "After what Montecillo did to me, I've been itching to do this," he muttered between gritted teeth. The scar across his face from the wound that Jiro caused made him more frightening.

"Dara!" Riko screamed in horror as Dara let go of her hand and tried to pry the guy's grip on her neck. "Let go of her!" she yelled, hitting him in the face and to whichever part her fists could reach.

"SHIT!" Hawk released Dara, who slid on the wall and coughed while nursing her neck. "YOU BITCH!" He stepped toward Riko and punched her on the stomach, her body jolting back with the impact, causing the girl to kneel on the floor. With a satisfied smirk, Hawk turned toward Dara again.

Dara gasped in fright, her eyes widening in horror when the guy rapidly approached her. He strangled her again, pushing her against the wall, his fingers digging into her skin. She tried to fight – clawing his face and throwing punches at him, but the guy was strong. A mixture of helplessness and terror crept inside her, but with the last ounce of logic left in her fading consciousness, Dara struggled to fish out her phone and threw it at Riko.

"O-One," she mumbled.

Still kneeling on the floor, her other arm wrapped on her stomach, Riko immediately hit her speed dial.

***

At the bottom of the stairs of the Arts Building, a crowd of outside gangs were terrorizing the students. When Jiro together with the Black Dragons finally arrived, a roar of approval and cheers filled the air. Picaro and Bonsai immediately made a move, punching the gangsters out of the way.

Jiro delivered an elbow strike to a guy who tried to block his path and kicked another one who dared to attack him. There was a dangerous air surrounding him as he urgently ascended the stairs, his eyebrows mashed together.