Heart Problems

'Ding Dong' the doorbell sang as I waited for Jake.  "Come on Jake, I don't want to be late for school!" I shouted.  I wrapped my black cardigan tighter around my chest and noticed that the leaves on Jake's front lawn were already turning red and golden.

"Ok, Kaitlyn, wait a second." he responded.  A minute later, he opened the door. And I almost didn't recognize him.  He had his brown hair combed (for once) and his blue flannel shirt was actually buttoned!  I guess I looked very surprized, because he asked, "What's wrong?  Is it the hair?  Cause I can fix it if it loo-"

"No, it actually looks neat for once!  I did a double take," I said surprized.  "Is it for your Teddy Bear?" I joked.

"Who's my Teddy Bear?" he said looking confused.

"I'm calling Julia Teddy Bear now," I said as we walked to his car.  "You look nice today!"

"Thanks, and yes, it is for her.  I have no idea how to handle this!  I bet she doesn't like me back though," he said with a sigh.

"Aww, don't worry, just give it time.  Can I drive today?" I asked hopefully.  I gave him the puppy dog look too for good measure.

"Fine..." he grumbled.  "Here's the keys," he said as he tossed them to me.  As I unlocked his silver Mercedes, I think I heard something along the lines of, "If you hurt my baby, you die.  Also, never call Julia 'my Teddy Bear'."  I laughed and drove us to school.

"Hey Anna!  Can you walk with me to journalism?" I asked Anna as I entered the school campus.

"Sure thing!  I'm SO happy today!  We're doing soccer right now, and that's the only sport that I don't suck at!" she exclaimed.  "Hey, wait up!  why are you walking so fast?"  She almost had to jog to keep up.

"Shh!  It's because I want to see Brayden before I have to enter Purgatory again.  He's so cute..." I said with my eyes glazed over.

"Ok, you are seriously in love with him!  Go talk to him.  He's right over there," Anna stated as she pushed me toward him.

"No, I'm in like with him.  There's a difference!"  Anna pushed me along further and I stumbled slightly.  "

Don't push me into his locker, jeez!" I whispered.  She smiled at me in encouragement, and I gave her a scowl in return.  "Uh, hey Brayden!" I called tentatively.

 "Oh, hey Katie.  How's it going?" he greeted with a dazzling smile.  I think I almost fainted.  Or almost had a heart attack, because I couldn't speak at all afterwards.

"Uh, um, uh, bye!" I stumbled out.  Then I bolted and ran.  I seriously ran?  I was a complete idiot!  "Shoot!" I said to Anna.

"Don't worry!  If he likes you, then he's not going to care about one slip up." she comforted.  "Think back to me and Daniel." 

She and Daniel had both had a huge crush on each other, but they both were too shy and stuttered all the time.  I couldn't believe it since Anna was never afraid of talking.  But then all of our friends and I encouraged Daniel to ask her out.  It all worked out and they were one happy couple.

"But it was obvious that he liked you back!" I argued.  "With Brayden and me, I can't tell!"  I've known him since 6th grade, and I always thought that he was kinda cute.

"Fine, but it's fine, Kaitlyn.  I have to go to P.E. now.  We can get through first period, and then we can forget about that conversation, okay?" she pleaded.

"Fine.  See you later!" I called before I headed into Mr. Woodfield's classroom.  I was extra careful not to slip on another pencil as I silently headed to my seat.

Mr. Woodfield walked in as he was twirling his chest hair disgustingly.  It was bad enough that he had a beer belly.

"Now, class, I hope you've started on your articles already, because the new news issue is to be published tomorrow.  It is a Thursday for you stupid kids out there," Mr. Woodfield announced.  Everyone groaned except for me.  I felt all giddy inside because I already have the Q and A for my article!  Maybe Ask Ashley was easier than I thought.

"Hi Kat.  What's up?" Ace whispered to me.  He was looking sexy and I hated him for it, as usual.  I always have to ignore his pretty face to see his true ugliness.  But wherever I look, he was still hot!  His chest is hot, arms are hot, abs are hot, and I prefer not to look further below that, if you know what I mean.

"The sky," I reluctantly replied.

"Fine.  What's down?" he asked.

"The ground."  I was beginning to get annoyed.

"What's in the middle then?"

"The air."

"Fine!  What's going on in your life then Kaitlyn!" he said annoyed.

"Eww, why do you want to know, creep!" I retorted in an acidic tone.  He looked at me with a very angry scowl.

"Fine," he quietly returned.  I felt kind of bad, but I swallowed down my guilt.  He slept with Anna in a one-night stand!  He didn't deserve my sympathy.

I didn't know what made him so one dimentional; the usual playboy with a rich family and not a care in the world.  He had everything going for him and I resented him for it.

The bell finally rang, and I headed off to science.  "Hi Jasmine!" I greeted as I sat down next to her.  I looked for Brayden, but he wasn't in the classroom yet.  That was great only because of my slip up that morning. 

"Ace tried talking to me again," I told her finally.

"Really?  He should take the hint by now.  Oh, look!  There's Brayden," she said with a grin.  And she was right.  He walked in, with his brown hair spiked perfectly, and his eyes were such a deep brown.  I tried to hide my face but he noticed and smiled jokingly at me.

Was he laughing at me or just smiling?

And then behind him as he walked towards his seat, I saw-- Ace?  That was the only time I was grateful to see him.  Who knew that the one time he would do me a favor was to distract me from the boy I liked.

"I can't wait until lunch.  I tend to do so," I complained as I slouched into my seat.

"You and me both, you and me both," Jasmine agreed with a sigh.

______________________________________________________________

Thanks for reading my story!  I really appreciate it!  By the way, if you like Science Fiction, check out my friend Gravitational's story, Operation B5.

Comment!  I love feedback almost as much as pandas! :P