Boys Are Boys

"Okay, class. Every one of you are responsible for writing an article in the school newspaper." Mr. Woodfield announced. I swear that everybody in the room groaned at the exact same time. "I will put all the sections in this bag, and you shall pick one. Any questions?" One guy raised his hand tentatively.

"Can we trade newspaper positions with a classmate if we don't like the ones we chose?"

"Absolutely not," Mr. Woodfield replied.

"Why? It's--"

"Why? Because I say so." The poor boy really looked shaken up. "Also, you can't tell anybody the section you picked. A lot of you guys suck at writing, and believe it or not, I don't want anyone to get their feelings hurt by other people." It felt as though he was looking straight at me as he said it. A few people laughed at the hypocritical and insulting comment.

It was the warmest, most touching sentence I've ever heard come out of his mouth. 

I had a hunch my position in the newspaper would be the worst. When the bag came for me to choose, I chose . . . Ask Ashley. Great! Now my job is to answer peoples questions and give advice. Great.  I bet Mr. Woodfield rigged the bag somehow.

I met up with Jasmine and Justin after the bell rang. We luckily had science together, and as we were walking, I told them about Ace, and what he said. "Ew, that's just nasty!" Jasmine said. Her tan face was twisted into a sour face and was the highlight of my day.

Our friendship first started when she witnessed Ace steal my potato chips in third grade and she kicked his ass for it.  Now Yasmine knows how much my little chip friends mean to me.  That's why she gets me a huge bag every Christmas.

"Wow, Ace talked to you? He is so hot!" Justin exclaimed. Jasmine, like the sometimes violent person she is, elbowed Sam in the gut hard. "Ow! What was that for!" he winced.  "You messed up my hair."  I laughed silently as he rearranged his reddish brown hair back into a messy spike in the front.

"You know what he did to Anna! Controll your gay fantasies when theyr'e with Jackasses, okay?" Jasmine was just awsome that way. Maybe it runs in her Persian blood or something.

"Fine, yeesh. But I bet I could change Ace's mind about playing around with girls."

"How are you going to do that?" Jasmine and I asked.

We were almost to the science classroom when Justin stopped and said, "I have my ways and it involves a package," he said mysteriously. Jasmine and I both looked at each other curiously.  I thought about the ways that Justin could do that . . .

"Oh my God!" I shouted.

I sat next to Jasmine in science tapping my fingers on the black lab table. "When is the class going to start?" I whispered impatiently to Jasmine. I hate it when nothings going on. I find it really uncomfortable.

"It already has! Mrs. Brell is talking about what we're going to learn this year," said Jasmine. She was right, except that she forgot to mention how slow and monotonous she was speaking.

I looked around the room and saw the one person I really did want to see. I saw Brayden, the boy I've liked since the middle of Junior year. He was so nice, funny, and best of all, cute. He had dark brown, average length hair that fell slightly over his deep brown eyes. He had an amazing smile too. I really wanted him to ask me to the Winter Ball, but I still wasn't sure if I was ready to even get into a relationship.  Then there was the problem of if he even liked me back.

Then I turned again to the back of the room and saw Ace. He winked at me and smiled, and I narrowed my eyes and scowled. I suddenly wanted this period to end very soon.

The lunch bell rang after English, and I headed to the cafeteria room.  English was my favorite subject purely because I loved to write.  Although Mr. Vella was a harsh grader, I knew my sentence structures and parts of speech thanks to my seventh grade teacher.  This goes out to you, Mrs. B! 

I look around until I saw Jake wave at me from one of the tables in the corner of the room. "Hey! What's up?" I asked.

Anna went first. "P.E was horrible, as usual. We had to run the mile! And guess what my time was?" "A 12:36!" She really was super challenged at P.E.

"That's okay," I comforted. She quickly pulled her strawberry blonde hair up into a loose ponytail.  "And if you want to know how my day went so far, I have to write in the school newspaper. But I can't tell you what section I'm writing."

"Come on! Just tell us! If you don't, I won't talk to you for a whole week." Jasmine threatened. I gave her the 'come on, really?' look. "Fine, three days." she compromised. I laughed. She couldn't go through with that. She's tried it before and failed miserably.

"Sorry, I can't tell you." I teased. She just folded her arms and glowered. "But it turns out Ace is in my science class, right Jasmine?" She kept her mouth shut.  "Jasmine?" I asked again. She shook her head all while keeping her jaw tightly clenched.

"She's actually doing it!" Jake said.  "What a weirdo."  Jasmine almost whacked his head off right there.

"Okay, we probably have to go to our next class," Justin annouced. We all agreed. "I don't think Jasmine's going to last though." he whispered to Jake. The last thing I heard was Sam betting Jake twenty dollars that Jasmine would talk before three days.  What can you do about your guy friends?