A Discovery

"Come on Kaitlyn!" I heard from downstairs. I groaned and trudged down the stairs slowly. "KAITLYN ANN ZANE! GET DOWN HERE NOW! I CA---" I finally got to the bottom of the stairs, and Mom suddenly stopped yelling at me. "Wow, Katie, you look beautiful. Look, I'm sorry for yelling at you, it's just that I haven't spent a lot of time with you, and I want to start now." She had a look of sincerity on her face, and I gave a small smile.

"It's fine, Mom. I just REALLY don't want to see Ace." I rolled my eyes as I said his name, and hopped into the car.

"I know how you feel. When I hate someone, it's hard to sit next to them. But, you just have to gut it out! Now let's go!" she said dangling her keys. I grumbled and we headed to the restaurant.

The rain was an assault team as it pelted out windows.  We couldn't see a thing, and I was surprised we made it through alive.  Fall and winter in Massachusetts were my least favorite seasons.  It was too cold and bleak.

I saw the big sign that said Telladine in the front of the restaurant. We stopped in front of the entrance, and walked inside. I loved valet parking.... The inside of Telladine was a dimly lit yellow. They had burgundy booths, and nicely draped windows. Even the tablecloths were nice! They looked like they were made of satin. Mom and I walked into the waiting room, and saw the Devano family waiting.

"Hi! Thank you for inviting us!" Mrs. Devano said, hugging Mom. I shook Mr. Devano's hand and hugged Mrs. Devano after Mom. I merely nodded at Ace politely. He smirked, walked over and embraced me into a big hug. Mom looked over at us curiously.

"Oh Kaitlyn! I'm so happy I could be here today!" I was awkwardly standing with his arms around me, and Mom had a confused expression on her face. "Oh! I don't believe we've met, Mrs. Zane!" he said letting me go. He waled over to her and shook her hand. "I'm Ace Devano, nice to finally meet you." He gave Mom a winning smile. She smiled back warmly. Damn him and his sexiness...

"Oh! It's nice to meet you too! Kaitlyn has....told me about you," Mom said. He raised his eyebrows, but said nothing. Thankfully before things got any more awkward, a waiter came.

"Ladies, Sirs, your table is ready for you," he said formally. He looked like he took his job very seriously. We nodded, and he showed us to booths in the corner of a room. Oh crap. Only four people could sit in the first booth, and only two can sit in the other. Oh crap.  That means...

"You and Ace can sit next to each other," Mom said, finishing my thought. Before I could stop myself, I face palmed myself in front of everyone. All the Devanos, and Mom, looked at me in shock. I blushed furiously and swatted the air as if a fly was bugging me.

"Oh, uh, there was a fly in front of my face, and I tried to slap it," I tried desperately. Who could blame me though? I didn't want to sit next to someone I hate. Who does? Ace saw things differently, and laughed cheerfully.

"Oh, OK! Well I'm happy we get to have dinner with each other," Ace said with a completely evil smile on his face. Or at least that was how I saw it.  Mom smiled at him, and glared at me before sitting down in her booth.  I shrugged.  Stupid Ace!  He just had to act nice in front of my mom, and make me look bad.

The waiter peered down on me with a disrespectful glare.  "This restaurant does not have flies."  My face turned even redder and he stormed off with a towel over his arm.

I sat down across from Ace in silence.  But I was saved by the waiter!  "Would this lovely couple like anything to drink?" he asked, all professional again.

"Oh, no!  We're not an item.  I already have a boyfriend," I corrected immediately.  "And could I have some water?"

"Yeah, we're not a couple," Ace said quietly.  "Could I have some water as well?"

"Oh!  I'm sorry!  You guys just look like you would be a great couple!  My apologies!  I'll be back with the drinks," the waiter said apologetically.  I looked at Ace wide eyed but found him staring at another girl two tables over.  I gave a little frown.

"Sure!  It's no problem," I said.  The waiter came back within two minutes.  I was surprised they delivered orders so fast, but whatever.  Expensive restaurants weren't really my thing anyways.

"So, you look really hot tonight," Ace started.  I narrowed my eyes and frowned even more.  I thought I might get frown lines when I got older, and Ace was definitely makin' it happen. 

"That's the worst thing you could say to me.  I thought that the word 'hot' was reserved for douches to use."  I guess I was right before.  Ace was a douche.

He wiped his forehead with his hand quickly and rested his hands on the soft table blanket.  Or was it a cover?  I had no idea.  "That's the worst thing I could say to you?" he asked incredulously.  "Says the one who hasn't been in a relationship since, I don't know, forever."

"I know I do," I replied.  "I look good everyday though, right?" I kidded.  I looked at him, and I thought I saw a slight roll of the eyes. I fumed silently. I really didn't think Ihe could be such an ass! He swallowed, and looked into my eyes.

"Yes, you do," he said quietly. All I could think of to do was just to stare into his eyes, until I actually processed what he said into my brain. I blinked and looked away. I cleared my throat before answering.

"Thank you," I returned.  I took drink of water and brought out my phone to see what time it was. 7:23.  I was not going to make him feel special.  "I'm going to the restroom," I told Ace awkwardly. He nodded, and I left my phone on the table before I went.

¤¤¤¤¤Ace's P.O.V.¤¤¤¤¤

Wow that was awkward. I really did mean what I said though. I didn't know what was happening to me.  Ace Devano was a ladies' man, and he was not going to fall for any stupid girl.  I really needed Ashley's advice . . . I texted her cell phone, and it read:

Hey! It's me. I'm at dinner with the one girl I was talking about.  I don't know how to talk to her, and I don't even want to like her.

I heard a buzzing sound from Kaitlyn's cell phone. Huh, I wondered why it did. I picked it up, and read the text that appeared on the screen. After I finished reading, my jaw dropped to the floor. Kaitlyn was the Ask Ashley writer.

_____________________________________________________________

Hey, my awsome readers!  I think you either saw that coming, or was completely shocked :O

So whatever the reaction was, VOMMENT!!! (Vote and Comment) 

Love you guys, Candie