Chapter 5

Mack had once again lied to Brady. She felt awful about it. She felt that she had to because it would have sounded a bit suspicious that she and Lela ran away from school together. She kept mentally promising herself that she would tell him soon. Soon.

That was the word that kept ringing in her head. She had told her grandpa that she would be home late because of studying. She hated lying to him too. She was grateful that he took care of her after her parents had passed.

She looked over at Lela who was wearing the most beautiful smile. Her ocean blue eyes looked as though they were sparkling. Lela could feel Mack's gaze lingering on her, causing her to blush. "Mack, are you staring at me?" She asked in a teasing tone. Mack quickly looked away as red flooded her face.

"I'm sorry...I couldn't help it. You're just so...beautiful" she managed to get out. Lela's face suddenly lit up. "Why thank you Mack. So are you!" Lela giggled, flashing her a haunting smile. Mack felt as though her heart were about to explode.

Lela turned into a nearby Camping World parking lot, turning off the car. "Soooo Mack, where do you want to go today?" Lela asked. Mack wasn't sure what to say. She thought of different suggestions, and finally came up with one.

She wasn't sure how Lela would react to it, but she decided to blurt it out anyway. "Camping?" Lela seemed a bit surprised by this. Mack instantly regretted this. She felt as though she were pushing them to move quite fast. "I'm sorry, that was stupid. Why would we go campi--" "Sure!" Mack chimed.

Mack was astonished by her answer. "Let's get some gear!" Lela cheered, opening the car door. Mack happily followed her. They were half way to the store when Lela's phone began to ring. "Golly, I wonder who this might be." Lela said before taking a look. Mack thought her choice of words were adorable.

Lela's smile dropped when she saw that her phone read "Tanner". Mack knew who it was. Her stomach instantly began to churn. What the hell did he want? Couldn't he just leave them be? Mack suddenly remembered Lela's excuse realizing that he was probably checking up on her.

"I'm fine. Just in bed. I feel so..sick!" Lela coughed, suddenly cracking a smile and giving Mack a quick wink. "Okay honey. Love you too." Lela finally said, hanging up the phone. Mack couldn't wait for the day she would say that to her.

Later that night

After they had gathered supplies and set up the campsite, they sat close together watching the flames. Music softly played from the car. A few seconds later, Lela's face brightened up. "Oh my goodness I love this song!" She cheered instantly getting up and turning up the radio. She quickly sat back down beside Mack cuddling closer.

"This is 1949 by Lana Del Rey. It's one of her unreleased ones. Ahhh! I love it!" Carry me up them stairs with my white socks on and my pretty song. You like my blue nail polish...Lela began singing along. Mack was in awe. The song was absolutely beautiful and Lela's voice made it sound even more beautiful.

"Lela?" Mack asked during the middle of the song. "Yes?" Lela asked rubbing circles on Mack's hand. "Do you think we're moving too fast?" Mack wasn't sure why she asked. However she really wanted to know.

"I would say so. I mean, how long have we known each other?" Lela giggled. "For like a week!" Mack laughed. "Yeah, but it's pretty fun, don't you think?" Lela whispered in her ear. A shiver ran down Mack's spine. All Mack could do was nod. She was completely tongue tied. "S'mores!" Mack suddenly suggested.

Mack ran to the car to get the food. They roasted their marshmallows until they were satisfied, creating s'mores. Lela looked over noticing some leftover chocolate on the corner of Mack's lips. "Maaack?" Lela said in a singsong whisper.