𝐭𝐰𝐨

Phoenix walked onto the train, a small smile still plastered on her face

   Phoenix walked onto the train, a small smile still plastered on her face. She looked around at the decorated train cart and saw no sign of Cassian, only seeing Maeve sitting by herself. Maeve looked up at Phoenix as the doors behind her closed. "Why haven't you married that boy yet?" Maeve knew well enough of the strong feelings for each other, anyone with eyes could see that.

"It's more complicated than that." Phoenix began, wishing more than ever she could be away from the Capitol with Finnick, but she couldn't and she wasn't planning on getting her hopes up. "Especially with this "Will they? Won't they?" relationship the Capitol's conspired." She puts air quotes over the title Finnick and she had gained over their years of being victors.

Phoenix sat in one of the chairs, not feeling anything as the train departed the station for District 5 at rapid speed. "No offense but I don't think anyone is thinking about the two of you now," Maeve admitted, looking at the screen in front of them. Phoenix matches Maeve's gaze, standing up from the chair and walking closer to the screen to get a better look.

She watched as Peeta Mellark got down on one knee, proposing to Katniss Everdeen right in front of her and the rest of Panem.

"Is this from today?" Maeve shakes her head at the rerun of the proposal. "It's from a couple of days ago. It's all everyone's been talking about, even in the districts." Maeve wonders to herself how Phoenix missed such huge news as this. A chuckle slips past Phoenix's lips, making Maeve look at Phoenix with a raised eyebrow. "What?" Maeve questions, watching Phoenix shake her head. "You really believe all of this?" Phoenix turns her head away from the screen and looks at Maeve who is giving her a confused look.

"Two victors, a new head GameMaker, previous victors suddenly not allowed to go to their Capitol party, and now the rush to get into the Quarter Quell." Saying all this out loud made Phoenix's nerves rise, but she continued. "They made Snow mad and now they're trying to fix it." Phoenix rubbed her clammy hands on her pants as she sat down, wondering if it was that easy to make Snow happy. If it was she would've married Finnick years ago.

A hush falls over the room as Maeve takes into consideration what Phoenix has just said. "I think you're thinking too much into this, Phoenix. Maybe they're just..." Maeve paused for a moment, thinking of the word to say. "Happy." Maeve finished, even if it sounded like she was trying to convince herself too. Because how could any victor ever be truly happy after the games?

The silence returned once Maeve turned the television off. Making Phoenix sit down, this time she took a seat by the window. Looking out at the scenery of Panem, Maeve's words replaying in her head. Maybe they were just happy.

As District 5 came closer into view, Phoenix realized she had seen no sign of Cassian. She turns away from the window and looks back at Maeve, watching her sit quietly, picking at her fingernails. "Where's Cassian?" Phoenix asked, breaking the silence that had gone on for almost too long. "He's in one of the other cars, he wasn't too happy about the delay." Phoenix rolled her eyes at the comment.