𝐭𝐡𝐫𝐞𝐞

Phoenix woke up in her bed the next morning, head pounding and face stiff from the now-dried tears

  Phoenix woke up in her bed the next morning, head pounding and face stiff from the now-dried tears. And just for a second, she thought it was all just a terrible nightmare. One where President Snow was going to send her and twenty-three other victors back into The Hunger Games for the second time. She shook her head, thinking something like that could never happen.

It wasn't until she heard soft cries from outside her room that Phoenix realized this wasn't a nightmare.

Her bare feet hit the cold ground once she got up from her bed, making her way towards the soft cries. She feels the lump in her throat and desperately tries to swallow it as she turns the corner. The first thing Phoenix saw was Canary, her arms wrapped around Maeve Bellos as she cried softly into her chest.

Phoenix watched the two for a moment until she couldn't any longer. "So it wasn't a nightmare." The two detached, both looking up at her. Maeve stands up immediately, wiping her tears with the back of her hand while watching Phoenix walk towards her. "That's what it feels like." She sighs, before wrapping her slender arms around Phoenix.

This reminded Phoenix of her initial games, a moment that felt like a lifetime ago. Remembering so vividly the last hug she and Maeve shared the night before the 66th Hunger Games. Now in each other's arms again, just as uncertain of the future as they were all those years ago. They detach, now looking at the other, both knowing almost exactly what the other is feeling, angry yet so scared.

Canary, like her sister earlier, couldn't watch anymore and broke the silence that was overtaking the house. "Have you talked to Cassian or the older victors?" Canary asked, directing the question towards Maeve.

Maeve took a breath before shaking her head, standing there for a moment as if she was thinking of what to do next. "I'm gonna find Cassian now. I'll try to come back-" She paused, almost like she didn't wanna finish her sentence. She takes a deep, shaky, breath before continuing. "Before the reaping." The two sisters stayed silent, both nodding their heads as Maeve made her way to the door.

"Maeve," Phoenix called out to her mentor as she opened the front door. Maeve turned around, eyes still slightly glossy and red from the tears. "I love you." The mentor's face lit up and for the first time since the Quell announcement, she smiled softly. "I love you." She replied, taking one final look at Canary before closing the door behind her.

The sisters looked at the closed doors, neither of them knowing what to say. But Phoenix knew it was only a matter of time until the reaping. Phoenix felt sick to her stomach at the idea of Maeve pushing aside her own emotions to help others. Bottling up her fear and anger to make sure everyone around her was doing better than she was. Maeve spent her whole life looking after people, and Phoenix swore to herself that Maeve wouldn't be the one going back into the arena.

"I'm sorry Canary," Phoenix muttered, not making eye contact with her now confused older sister. "What?" Canary questioned, now looking at Phoenix for answers. "I'm not letting her go back." She turned to face Canary, her face now blank yet her bottom lip was trembling slightly. "And those other victors, they're married with children." Phoenix finally looked at Canary. "I can't, I'm sorry." But Phoenix wasn't crying, believing there were no tears left in her, only anger.