𝐬𝐢𝐱

Phoenix and Cassian walked shoulder to shoulder into the newly opened training center

     Phoenix and Cassian walked shoulder to shoulder into the newly opened training center. As the doors opened, it became apparent that they were the only tributes present. Cassian's strategy was to arrive early, aiming to establish a powerful impression on the other participants.

The two tributes from District 5 looked around the new training center, and both noticed how much larger and more enhanced it looked since their last games. It was a surprise they hadn't anticipated.

Cassian leaned his head towards Phoenix's ear. "Maeve told you, right?" He asked, reminding Phoenix he wanted to work alone. "Yeah, do whatever you want Cassian," Phoenix said watching Cassian nearly run to the combat station.

Her gaze eventually wandered to the Gamemakers, situated above everything. Phoenix locked eyes with Plutarch Heavensbee. Both of their expressions remained neutral as if any acknowledgment between them could jeopardize the entire operation.

Phoenix soon found herself at the station, staring down at the array of knives. She picked up one of the blades, examining it in her hand, her thumb running up and down the handle. Memories of her previous games flashed in her mind, recalling the fortunate moments when she secured several throwing knives during the Cornucopia. Placing the knife back down, her eyes fell on a Butterfly Knife.

She picked the knife up, flipping it open smoothly. It had been some months since Phoenix had practiced with any kind of knife. She believed she wouldn't need the skill anymore. Now, looking down at the knife, she realized how wrong she was. Suddenly, the thought of a girl came into her head, a girl Phoenix had not thought about since her games.

Calla, the dark-haired girl from District 2.

Despite being warned to avoid the Careers, Phoenix couldn't shake off Calla's persistent presence, and the truth as to why remained a mystery to her. The pair had crossed paths at the knife station many years ago, with it being Calla who took it upon herself to teach her the intricacies of the skill. Before her games, Phoenix had only toyed with it a few times, always holding a somewhat morbid fascination for tributes who excelled in the skill of throwing knives.

She starts flipping the Butterfly Knife around, recalling the time Calla mentioned how she saw similarities between Phoenix and her younger sister in District 2. At 14, Phoenix never questioned it, simply being grateful to have someone other than Maeve or her District partner, Jasper Moss, to talk to.

During the 74th Hunger Games, Phoenix couldn't comprehend why Clove, the District 2 tribute, constantly stared at her. She recalls coming across a picture of the girl and noticing the shared traits of similar eyes and freckles, reminiscent of Calla. Despite this resemblance, Phoenix remained oblivious to any actions that might have piqued Clove's interest.

Phoenix tried to shake the memories out of her head, only now realizing she never saw Calla much during the games. This might have been a good thing, sparing her from witnessing Calla's death unfold in real time. And even though Phoenix would never understand why the girl helped her before the games, she knew she owed her life to Calla.