𝐨𝐧𝐞

Phoenix Flack shot up from her bed with a gasp, sweat already beading on her forehead as she looked around the room

  Phoenix Flack shot up from her bed with a gasp, sweat already beading on her forehead as she looked around the room. Phoenix quickly realized she wasn't inside the arena of the 66th Hunger Games, but instead, in a cold room inside the Capitol. Phoenix gripped the blanket below her, desperately trying to catch her breath from the same nightmare that had been terrorizing her for years on end.

The feeling of terror began to diminish inside Phoenix, leaving behind the feeling she dreaded most, guilt. Phoenix looked around her room, it didn't take her long to realize she was alone. With the man President Snow introduced to her long gone, Phoenix felt as though he took her dignity with him. The confirmation made Phoenix sigh, before swinging her feet to the side of the bed and gripping the blanket under her until her knuckles turned white. She only detached to place her head in her hands, letting the sobs overtake her body.

Phoenix's hatred for the Capitol ran deep, but she couldn't risk having anyone she loved killed, especially because of her. Her mouth turned dry as she remembered the proposition President Snow made her, even then she knew there was too much at stake for her to turn it down.

Phoenix couldn't dare think about what Snow would do to Canary Flack, her last living family member. Her mind raced with memories of her older sister. The girl who had raised her after the death of their parents. Years before, Phoenix's name had been selected during the reaping.

Phoenix knew if Canary hadn't been twenty-one at the time of the 66th Hunger Games, she would've volunteered in her place. She still remembered their final hug before getting dragged out of the room by Peacekeepers almost nine years ago. To Phoenix, this felt like a lifetime ago, even if in reality, it hadn't been all that long.

As she thought about it now, Phoenix tried to remember what it felt like to exist outside the eyes of the Capitol. A time before fame, money, and secrets, and one where it was just Canary and Phoenix. Yet Phoenix realizes when thinking of a time before Capitol, she must also think of a time before Finnick.

Her mind now began to race with memories of the beloved victor from District 4. Phoenix now wanted nothing more than to be in his arms, safe from the Capitol, Snow, and all the other horrors that followed the victors. Standing up from the bed, Phoenix wiped her eyes, making her way toward the large window that overlooked the Capitol. She sat in a chair in front of the window, feeling as if she was looking out to all of Panem.

She knew Finnick was somewhere inside the Capitol, probably in a situation similar to her own, she wondered if he was thinking of her. And he was. Alone in another cold room somewhere in the Capital, he was thinking only of her. Both harboring a similar feeling of guilt in their stomachs.

Phoenix Flack and Finnick Odair become close after winning back-to-back Hunger Games. 65 and 66. Both were 14 at the time of their respective wins, claiming the titles of youngest male and female victors ever. Phoenix and Finnick became fast friends once they met during her victory tour, yet something more always lingered between the two. Leading them to become some of the Capitol's favorite victors.