𝐟𝐢𝐯𝐞

Phoenix's eyes fluttered open as sunlight bathed her face

    Phoenix's eyes fluttered open as sunlight bathed her face. "Time to get up! It's Prep team time!" Ivanna chirped, briskly pulling the covers off Phoenix. "Don't make me get the water bottle, Phoenix," came a distant voice from Maeve, prompting the girl to rise slowly from the bed, well aware that Maeve was likely serious.

She was immediately greeted by her team of Capitol socialites, signaling the start of a long day ahead. Phoenix found herself being pulled in various directions throughout the morning. People plucked, poked, and primed her, making her skin hot to the touch, and making the hours feel endless.

As the last strip of wax was ripped off her skin, Phoenix winced at the pain. "Sorry, honey, just precaution. We're all done now," a member of her prep team apologized, placing her cold hands on Phoenix's warm legs.

Phoenix sat up quickly, regretting it immediately as she began seeing black spots. Gripping the edge of the table, she listened to the sound of nearing footsteps. "Phoenix." Looking up at the calling of her name, Phoenix was met by Ivanna and her main stylist.

She was one of the newer stylists, not having styled Phoenix in her first games. With dark green hair and pale skin, the woman gazed back at Phoenix, almost mesmerized. Phoenix felt a pang of guilt as she zoned out during Ivanna's introduction to the stylist.

"It's such an honor to meet you, Ms.Flack." The woman places a kiss on Phoenix's cheek, snapping her back into the moment. She smiled, trying to act as if she was listening to what Ivanna had been telling her. Ivanna holds out her hand, helping Phoenix off the table and navigating her to her dressing room.

"I'm going to check on Cassian. Is there anything you need?" Ivanna tried to catch Phoenix's eye through the small crowd that had begun forming around her, working to get her ready. "Yeah, where's Maeve? I haven't seen her." Phoenix knew by now she would've already been scolded for something by Maeve.

"Last I saw her she was with Haymitch Abernathy, she'll be around later," Ivanna informed as she exited the room, leaving Phoenix confused. She couldn't recall Maeve ever talking to the other mentors. As a mentor herself, she only encountered Finnick and Johanna later in the process, not this early on.

What did Maeve need with Haymitch?

Questions raced through Phoenix's mind, and before she knew it, the last hair had been put into place, and the finishing touches of her makeup were finished. "All done," the prep team chirped all at once.

"Now it's time for your dress," her stylists appraised the girl, looking her up and down before turning to retrieve the dress. Phoenix matched their gaze, a small gasp escaping her mouth when she saw the dress that had been made for her.

Her eyes brightened as they fell upon the long, dark green dress before her. On closer inspection, Phoenix noticed lightning-like currents moving through the fabric. "What is that?" Phoenix questioned, reluctant to touch it and risk getting shocked.