𝐞𝐢𝐠𝐡𝐭

Phoenix laid in her bed, eyes shut as she wanted desperately not to leave the bed

     Phoenix laid in her bed, eyes shut as she wanted desperately not to leave the bed. With the games now just a day away, she laid there, eyes closed, hoping that when she opened them, she'd be back in District 5. Hearing the door opened she knew that wouldn't be the case.

The door to her room opened and Maeve stepped inside. For a moment she looked down at Phoenix and sighed, wishing she would've let her volunteer. She simply wanted to take all this pain away from the girl who became like a sister to her over the years. 

Maeve sat on the edge of Phoenix's bed and brushes the stray hair out of her face. " Phoenix we gotta get you ready. "  A hum left the tired girl's closed lips as she tried to roll over but knew it was no use as she felt the blankets being taken off of her.

" Come on, they're waiting. " Phoenix knew Maeve meant her prep team, and part of Phoenix felt bad she hadn't connected with them. Especially since it would be her main stylist seeing her last before the games and not Maeve like she desperately wished. 

Once Phoenix left her room she was immediately met with the 3 members of her prep team and her main stylist. Each having a new hair color since the last time she saw them. Phoenix was taken aback by the amount of energy they had at such an early hour. 

It wasn't long until Phoenix was looking up at the ceiling of her dressing room, feeling the hot wax being ripped off of her skin. She groaned at the pain, still not being used to it. " Almost done! " A voice chirped. " We don't want any stubble. " Another rang out after, making Phoenix raise an eyebrow, before closing her eyes, trying to tune out the voices around her. 

Hours passed and Phoenix's dressing room became slightly more crowded with the addition of Maeve and Ivanna. As everyone was rushing around the room, her main stylists, who Phoenix had figured out was named Tilda, began undoing the dress that had been made for Phoenix. 

Phoenix was mesmerized by the black dress in front of her. Looking closely at the black dress she noticed the twinkling lights that shined throughout the fabric. " Oh, Phoenix! Look at it! " Ivanna said, turning to praise Tilda as her eyes already began to water. 

Stepping into it and looked down at her black nails, shoes, and diamonds that were spread across her body. The dress was zipped up and tied behind her as she turned her head towards the prep team and stylist. 

" It's beautiful, what was the inspiration? " Phoenix asked, watching Tilda's face lit up at the question. " Well the lights represent the power of District 5, but we took some inspiration from the attire you'd expect at a funeral. " Maeve almost spit out her drink as the words left the stylist's mouth. 

A surprised look spread across Phoenix's face as her head turned to Tilda in disbelief. She shook her head, watching the stylist look unfazed, not even noticing the irony. This is when a laugh left her lips at the comment that had just been made.

 Phoenix looked at Maeve and laughed more, watching her wipe the water off her chin. " How tasteful. " Phoenix shrugged, not knowing what else to say about the comment. Before she could say anything else, the face of Caesar Flickerman appeared on the screen in front of her. Phoenix tried to ignore the multiple pairs of hands that roamed her body as she watched him begin his opening speech.