𝐬𝐢𝐱𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧

Phoenix's eyes were still screwed shut, with her slightly bloodied hands over her ears

    Phoenix's eyes were still screwed shut, with her slightly bloodied hands over her ears. She hadn't noticed the small amount of blood on her hands that had dripped down from her ringing ears. With her hands still pressed against her ears to block the noise, she was yet to notice that the hour was in fact, up.

That's when a pair of large hands suddenly pressed down onto her shoulders, causing Phoenix to flinch violently. She hadn't even realized the shaking that overtook her whole body until the steady hands were met with her trembling body. Taking her hands off her ears Phoenix looks up quickly, to her surprise, she wasn't met with someone or something that was trying to kill her, but with Finnick.

The man looked almost heartbroken when he was finally able to look at Phoenix without the forcefield in between them. Once Phoenix got a good look at him she noticed his tear-stained cheeks that were reflecting off the light. Within an instant Finnick was at her side, he quickly wrapping both arms around her, before rocking the girl back and forth in an attempt to calm her down.

" It was her Finnick, it was Canary. " Phoenix explained, with tears still rolling down her face. She was having an inner battle with herself, not knowing if it was the right idea to tell Finnick about the screams of Annie. Yet as the young girls screams replayed over and over in her mind, she knew she couldn't pretend it didn't happen. " Annie too. " She added, feeling Finnick tense from around her.

Shutting her eyes again, Phoenix realized nothing else was playing inside her mind other than the screams of the two girls. This made her unable to listen to the sounds of Finnick's voice as he tried to calm her down. " Hey, look at me. " Finnick pleaded, moving over a bit to be faced to face with Phoenix.

The girl opened her eyes again, with her gaze falling not on Finnick, but Johanna Mason. She took in the way the girl was presenting herself to her allies. Her demeanor was different now, she wasn't angry like she had been before the jabberjay attack. Johanna Mason looked at Phoenix with defeat in her eyes. With her hatred for the Capital growing more with every passing second she was inside the arena.

" Nixie please look at me. " Finnick pleaded again, sadness and despair lingered in his voice as he watched the look of pure numbness Phoenix had on her tear-stained face. " What happens when they're down to the last 10 tributes in the games? " Finnick asked Phoenix, knowing she knew what happened.

Yet she stood there silent, her chest rising up and down slowly while she pondered with the true answer inside of her head. " They interview the families and friends of the tributes. You know both of them are safe. " Finnick reminded, now holding onto Phoenix's hand as he continued reassuring the safety of Canary and Annie.

On the surface Finnick was calm, he knew Phoenix needed support and wanted nothing more than to give it to her. Yet on the inside, Finnick struggled to keep both his anger and his sadness hidden. Once Annie's name had slipped through Phoenix's lips a wave of anger washed over him. With him not being able to imagine what her cries sounded like coming from the jabberjays.