Chapter 18-Doras the exploras

"I don't understand this problem," says Lanie. "Why would anyone want to steal apples anyway?"

I glance up from the story I'm reading to frown at the girl. "How should I know?" I ask. "You're in the advanced class, not me." 

She nods. I peek down at the textbook she is looking at and shrug. I don't know what apples have to do with Calculus, but I'm not interested in finding out. She pushes the textbook to the side and flops down on the bed, making herself comfortable on top of my comforter. 

"I'm glad you're making yourself at home," I mutter, somewhat sarcastically. Lanie smirks and wraps the blanket further around herself. 

"This is boring," she says. "I want to do something fun."

"Like what?" I ask, placing down the book in my hand. There aren't too many fun things to do here. 

Lanie sighs wistfully, staring somewhere above my head. "Beck always comes up with the ideas," she says. 

"We can watch TV," I offer. 

Lanie rolls her eyes and tosses her hair dramatically. I watch her, somewhat amused, as she attempts to concoct a brilliant plan for maximum fun. "I want to play hide and seek," she says decisively. "Beck and I do it all the time."

I groan at the suggestion and shift around on the bed beside her to make myself more comfortable. "I don't know if that's a good idea," I say. "I don't think my bosses would like that."

The girl in front of me pouts and turns away from me. "Fine," she mutters, "but you're no fun."

We sit in silence as I try to think of something that both my bosses and Lanie would appreciate. "We could, uh–"

"Julianne!" I glance up in surprise as Arianna jumps into my room. "Where's...oh."

She sees the two of us chilling on my bed and her face relaxes. "Thank goodness. Dominic was ranting about how Lanie had disappeared because Connor is gone and––"

"He's gone?" I ask in shock. Had he really just up and disappeared without telling them? But then why had he told me? I bite my lip, unsure of whether or not I should mention what he'd said to Arianna. Beside me, Lanie freezes, most likely thinking the same.

"Yes. If you see or hear anything, let us know at once," says Arianna. I nod uneasily and nudge Lanie, letting her know to keep silent. "Until he returns, you should keep a close eye on Lanie, understand?"

"Of course," I say. I was planning to do that anyway.

Once she is gone, Lanie glares at me. "We should have told her," she hisses.

I stare at her with wide eyes, wondering why she is suddenly so hostile. "Why?" I ask. 

"Because they probably think he's been kidnapped too!" she says.

"Nah, he's a good spy. They wouldn't kidnap him," I disagree. "He can handle himself, trust me."

"You haven't given me very good reasons to do that in the past," she says. "You let my best friend get kidnapped and you were taken off the case."

I scowl and pick at a loose thread in the blanket I am lying on. "Yeah, well, I couldn't very well have followed after Beck without making you two suspicious, could I? I did what I thought was best. I'm sorry that it didn't work out, honestly, but I'm pretty sure that SASS will get her back."

"Sass," she snorts. "I like it."

"Good," I say, "now go back to your math homework."

She is quiet for a minute, but it is too quiet. I look over and see her staring blankely at the page with no inclination of writing anything down. Should I say something or...? After a few seconds, Lanie throws down the pencil in defeat.

"This is too hard," she whines. "Beck always helps me with my homework."

"You guys are tight, huh?" 

Lanie scoffs, "She's my best friend."

"So I've heard. How long have you guys known each other?"

Lanie sits up and closes the textbook, deciding that she has had enough studying for one day. "Well," she says, frowning thoughtfully. "It's been at least three years."

"Only three?" I ask in surprise. "I thought it would be longer."

Lanie shrugs. "It feels like it has," she says, "but we met freshman year." 

"And now you're a senior," I ask. Lanie nods. 

"It's hard to believe," she says. "I don't even feel that old."

"You don't look that old either," I joke. Lanie glares at me harshly and I giggle. "Kidding!"

"You better be," she snaps.

"Why isn't she afraid of you?" I ask. "Everyone's afraid of you."

Lanie grins and watches me thoughtfully. "Even you?" she asks. 

I shake my head. "No. After what I've been through in training for this job, you don't scare me," I say. "Though I don't know why Beck can act so normal around you."

Lanie shrugs. "Beck's different," she says. "She's special."

I stifle my laugh because all of the sudden they sound more like an old married couple than best friends. "Is that so?"

"Yeah," she sighs. "I miss her a lot."

"I'll bet," I laugh. Her eyes narrow as she whips around to look at me. 

"Why are you laughing at me?" she asks. 

I cough and murmur, "No reason."

I forgot how much the girl hates when people laugh at her. She eyes me warily before jumping up off the bed. "Let's go exploring," she says. 

I sit up slowly, considering this. On one hand, Dominic and Arianna probably wouldn't appreciate me letting her roam free around the agency. But then again, I would be with her, so how much trouble could she possibly get into?

"Okay," I say. 

Lanie skips to the door and yanks it open without waiting for me to catch up. I hurry after her as she dashes down the stairs and down a hallway. "Where are you going?" I call out.

Lanie picks up the pace, glancing over her shoulder to grin at me, and her hair flys everywhere. "I don't know!" she laughs. 

"Aren't you going to let me lead the tour?" I ask, since she has absolutely no clue where she's going. Lanie shakes her head while continuing to sprint. She darts around a corner and I hear a loud groan. 

"Shit!"

I grit my teeth and hurry to catch up, shrinking back when I see Dominic and Lanie sprawled on the hallway floor. 

"Julianne," Dominic growls, "what are you two doing?"

"I'm sorry, we were just messing around," I murmur. "I didn't think that anyone was up here and––"

Dominic holds up a hand. "Just... watch out next time," he says. "You know you're not supposed to bring kids into this hallway."

Lanie stiffens at the statement and turns to look at me with wide eyes. I ignore her stare and apologize again. 

"It's fine, now get out of here," barks Dominic. 

I grab Lanie's arm and drag her down the steps before we get in any more trouble. When we're out of sight, Lanie says, "Did he call me a kid?"

I shrug. "It's no big deal," I say.

Lanie scowls at me. "He doesn't seem very nice.

"He's not always like that though," I say. "He's normally pretty chill. He's just really stressed out right now."

"Oh. Okay," says Lanie. She glances around the hall. "Does this mean that we can't explore anymore?" she asks.

"Absolutely not."