Chapter 10- Work it out

Hey there long time no see :) How are you lovely things doing? Dedicated to an awesome girl for all her support!

Also, dedicated to all the Track and Field runners like me out there ;) Drop me a comment if you run!

The banner is by @MaskedDreams1 go check her out!

Chapter 10

The adrenaline pumps through me, my muscles straining and my breathing fast and heavy. I hear Chase right behind me and force myself to run faster, harder. We both know it's only a matter of time before he catches up to me.

HIs footsteps pound closer until we're side by side and he smirks at me, knowing I tried to leave him behind and failed. "You know I can catch up to you, Jules. Even with a headstart. " I ignore him and push myself to go faster. Let's see him top that.

Unsurprisingly, footsteps pound behind me making me frown. Did he just gain 200 pounds? His footsteps sound a lot louder. I turn my head slightly to see a pair of people right behind me. Who's this now? A girl is keeping pace with Chase, breathing evenly and only looking slightly tired. But not just any girl. Lanie.

Well, hey there, speedy. Chase slides in beside me with Lanie hot on his tail. He looks over at me, not needing to say a word to convey his surprise. With only fifty meters to go, we all speed up a little bit, not wanting to come in third. I can feel my reserve strength kicking in, easily allowing Chase and I to speed up a little more, giving us the last kick we need to dart across the finish line, panting hard.

Lanie finishes a second later, her breathing heavy and her frown heavier. Chase and I reach out our hands in a silent clasp, squeezing a little, but not hard enough to hurt. We'd seen several girls doing it after a work out four years ago and we've been copying it ever since.

I glance back at Lanie to see her bent over holding her side. A brunette girl is hovering over her, shaking her head in disapproval. Her brown eyes sparkle in amusement as she listens to Lanie, and she nods slowly before quietly scolding her once more. She rolls her eyes, twirling her braid around delicate fingers, unconciously playing with it. Lanie straightens up and her eyes meet mine, making her scowl and me bite my lip to hide a smirk. You want to fight with me? Bring it on; I can hold my own. I walk up to her, linking my arm with Chase's and her scowl doesn't lesson even a bit.

When we reach her, I smile brightly and sincerely at Lanie and her friend, watching Chase from the corner of my eye to make sure he does the same. He gives each girl a dazzling smile and Lanie's frown falters slightly. Thank goodness for cute boys. "Hey Lanie." I start, knowing if I don't no one will.

She tilts her head in confusion before her eyes brighten and narrow just slightly. "You're the girl who slammed into me, aren't you?" By the way her eyes are shining, I can tell she already knows the answer, so I stay silent. My eyes wander to her friend and I smile, waiting for Lanie to introduce us. She stays silent.

"Lanie, aren't you going to introduce us to your friend?" I finally ask, batting my eyes innocently. Chase grins beside me, knowing my innocent act is really... just an act. Lanie opens her mouth and then closes it after a second, leaving her friend blinking in confusion.

"Please, Lanie?" Chase rolls her name off smoothly making me want to smirk. Give it a second-

"This is Beck." She concedes looking a little dazed. Chase smiles at her before turning to smirk at me, making me roll my eyes. He's way too good at that. It's not exactly fair, is it? Beck is standing at Lanie's side, watching everything unfold silently with a slightly confused look, but she shakes it off, smiling brightly when Lanie says her name.

"Hey, it's nice to meet you." She grins at me, shaking my hand and then Chase's.

"I'm Julianne and this is Jason." I smile back confidently and Lanie rolls her eyes, making Beck elbow her in the side with a disapproving look. Lanie shoots her a look that screams fine and she turns to face us.

"It's so nice to meet you, Jason." She grins until Beck hits her again. "You too, Julian." I don't bother to tell her that Julian is a boy's name. She already knows and she's trying to make fun of me. Good luck with that, princess. I'm not quite that sensitive.

"OK everyone! Listen up. That was ok, but not," Janet pauses, thinking of the right word. "excellent. So we're going to do it again." I hold in a laugh at that. Even if it was perfect, she'd still find a way to make us do some more. Janet ignores all the protests and groans. "You there! Why are you on the floor? Up you go!" Janet yanks some poor girl to her feet, her brown eyes flashing as she looks around for other stragglers.

Lanie stays silent and aside from her narrowed eyes, I can't even tell that she's annoyed. Beck laughs softly. "Good luck repeating that, you three." She grins at us all and I hold in a laugh. That won't be a problem for Chase or I.

An hour later, everyone is ouut of breath and some boys have just completely collapsed and refuse to move. "Once more!" Janet shouts to everyone. No one bothers to respond, too tired at this point to even react. I think everyone's mind is completely numb from the heat and exhaustion. No matter how many times I work out with Janet, it doesn't get any easier.

Chase jogs beside me, sweat dripping slowly down the back of his neck. He meets my eyes and gives me a small smile. No matter how exhausted, Chase always manages to cook up a smile in an attempt to make others feel better. Beside him, Lanie is jogging too, slightly bent over as she struggles to keep her breathing even. By some miracle, she's managed to run almost with us, even after all this time. She's not completely up to speed, but with a couple weeks of work, she should be doing good.

Janet's whistle sounds shrilly, cutting across the track as we all pick up the pace, our mucsles burning as we pump our legs faster, swinging our arms in a powerful rythmn. With less than 150 meters to go, we pick it up, realizing that if you want to go for it, it's now or never. Lanie's footsteps echo behind us as she struggles to catch up, not realizing that her quick, shallow breathing is holding her back. We explode across the finish line for the last time and bend over for a second, trying to catch our breath before walking, which always helps you recover better than just collapsing on the ground.

Chase grabs our waters and throws one to me before chugging it down a little at a time. I drain mine too before looking at Lanie to see her and her friend slumped over the railing. Guess she's not used to this kind of workout, although Janet changes it up so much that eventhough she's been coaching me for eight years, I still don't know all the workouts.

Chase looks out over crowd of runners with a calculating look in his eyes. I stay silent dilligently keeping an eye on Lanieas she high fives her friend and sips water. "Julianne." A murmered warning catches my attention and I look at Chase with wide eyes.

His eyes meet mine, flashing a dark green, before he turns to look outside the track, staring at the clouds. "Hey, look at that! It's a snake." Chase exclaims, pointing at a lengthy cloud before turning to face me casually, keeping the cloud within his sight. I look, fast but casual, and see exactly what he's talking about. Less than seventy feet away, a man is is crouching in the bushes with full camouflage. He's holding a gun. A gun that is pointed straight at Lanie.

OH NO Lanie!! Be careful!

Hey there, I see you've read all the way through. Are any of you runners? I am :) Drop me a comment if you are and I'll dedicate the next chapter to one of you!

Comment

Vote

Fan

Say hi :P I'll say hi back, don't worry!