Chapter 17- Heartless Trainers

I know it's been a year. Not really but yeah ;) I only have three months until the publication of my new book and as a result, I havn't been writing on wattpad much. I still love ya'll loads though xxLisexx

"Absolutely not."

"It's just for a few days."

"I'm not going to do all the hard work so that you can swoop in and claim the glory," I complain. Connor sighs with a sound like the hiss of a leaking pipe before clenching his hands into fists.

"Julianne, come on. She's my mom. What would you do if you were in my situation?" he asks. I look away from him towards the sky, lost in thought.

"Get Leliah to help you," I mutter. Maybe I'm being too stubborn. After all, his mother is sick in the hospital. Sick, possibly dying. Now why does that sound familiar? Oh yes, because I have been in his situation before. 

"She'd never go out of her way to help someone," he argues. Connor's jaw clenches with a quiet pop as he stuffs his hands into the pockets of his black sweatpants. 

"I think you'll survive without seeing her."

"For goodness sakes, Julianne, when did you become so heartless?" he asks. A frown crosses his lips as he stares at me intently. "I thought that I was the asshole."

Rustling from behind me causes both of us to whip around on instinct. A startled girl peeks out behind a bush with a light blush coating her cheeks. "Uhm, hey."

"Lanie," I sigh. "I should have known." Conner sighs to himself as the girl frowns while glancing between us.

"It's my fault. I told her to wait there," he says. I purse my lips as the older girl shifts her weight from one foot to the other. He gestures her over and she marches to us with tiny strides.

"Tell Connor that you don't want me training you." I turn to face Lanie with crossed arms, and she purses her lips. 

"I don't."

"You heard the girl. Besides, I'm not on this case anymore," I protest. I manage to keep the bitter feelings about this from spilling into my tone. 

"You can't seriously be annoyed about that, can you? Don't you realize how badly you messed up?" Connor scoffs with wide eyes. I fight the urge to punch him in the arm, and look back at Lanie. She's trying not to smile.

"You're really not helping your case," she murmurs to Connor. The boy runs a finger through his hair, tangling the gelled strands.

"How about this. If you don't help me out, I'll tell Leliah that you stole her favorite pair of shoes," he threatens.

I stare at him for a few seconds in confusion, trying to formulate a response. "But... I didn't."

Connor raises an eyebrow, feigning surprise. He scratches the back of his head with a mischievous smirk. "Well, someone did."

"You little..." I stare at him, debating whether or not to tackle him to the ground. "Okay, fine."

"Seriously? Guess I didn't need to steal this necklace then," Connor says. He pulls a thin, gold chain from his pocket and cups it in his palms. "It's really pretty, isn't it?" he asks. 

"Yes, now go give Lane's stuff back. I guess you can come with me." I take off in the direction of the woods without looking back. The grass muffles the sound of her footsteps, but I can hear the puff of her breath in the air. 

"Where are you going?" she asks. I turn briefly to look at her before we reach the first line of trees. 

"We are going running," I say. "Try to keep up, alright? I don't feel like stopping for you."