Chapter 3- Meet the Family

Hey know it's been awhile but hope this makes at least 5 people smile ;) Lise

Chapter 3

Drip drip drip. The rain pours down the windowpane like tears trickling down a glassy cheek. Drip drip drip.

"So if you add x which is equal to sixty because they are corresponding angles, ninty, and three y you get one hundred and eighty. So y equals?" Drip drop drip. "Yo new girl." Shivers flow down my back as a rough voice whispers near my ear making me lean forward a little.

"What?" I answer back quietly keeping my head down drowning out Mr. Dray, my Geometry teacher. The voice behind me leans a little closer till they are right near my neck blowing heat across it.

"You stupid or something? Answer the question." A little laugh explodes from behind me as I snap my head up to find the whole class staring at me.

"If 3y= 30 than y =10." I add it up quickly in my head. A few smiles hidden by hands and hair spread around the room like wildfire before Mr. Dray smiles wryly. "Hmm yes that's correct. Very good." He shakes his gray hair out slowly in confusion while I stifle a laugh. Just cause I missed my name doesn't mean I can't add.

"That's pretty impressive, new girl." The voice is back low and amused that I managed to rescue myself. It can't hurt to sneak a little look at him... I turn my head slowly to the side just about to turn around and look back casually when-BRRIIINNNGGGG.

The class jumps up as one, a wave of students all eager to escape. Is that him with the red hair sticking up around his head in a mohawk? Or is he the dark, angry one who pushes past people to get to the exit? Or... Well I'll just find him tomorrow I decide as the crowd pushes me along. At least it's lunch. Ooh school food! Mmm I wonder how it'll taste. As good as Arianna's chicken dumplings?

"Julianne! Wait up girl, where you going so fast?" I feel a tug on my arm as Macy slingshots herself past a few crying girls to clave onto me. "Soo" I start looking around campus as we pass by crowds of students all shoving each other to get where they want to go. "Soo" Macy smiles down at me in amusement as we reach the bright blue doors leading to the cafeteria.

"What's good?" I ask looking around curiously as we approach the mile long line of people waiting to eat. Fine, not a mile, there are two hundred and fifty four people in front of us. Ninty four of them are wearing their hair in a ponytail. "Well, the pizza's great and the noodles are too. The salad is ok and the chicken's alright. But never EVER get the meatloaf. It tastes like cardboard." She shudders and I follow suit remembering a time in New York when I had to eat the tipoff written on cardboard. Grossest thing around.

"Okay think I'll steer clear of that one then." I joke and she just stares at me nodding seriously. Guess I'm not that funny. We wait in the line for twenty four minutes and sixteen seconds and get to know each other. Well, I get to know her and she gets to know Julianne Brent. Taking my chicken pasta in one hand and milk in the other, I follow after Macy who glides in between the tables like a figure skater. We pass by girls with dark heavy makeup, boys starting a food fight, and pretty girls all huddled in a circle. That's when I see her: Lanie Young. She's surrounded by five other girls who are all laughing and twirling their hair, staring at her eagerly.

Lanie looks exactly like I pictured her: long,curly brown hair tossed perfectly over her shoulders and a slender build with muscular legs. The half smile on her face is brilliant but I can see from the slight frown between her eyes that she's in no mood for the stupid gossip I can hear from half a cafeteria away. I turn away quickly before she notices me staring at her and carch up to Macy as she plops down at a crowded table. All the seats around her are taken... Wait was I even invited to sit here? Oh my gosh I wasn't! I turn away quickly to hide my embarressment making it only two feet before a curious voice stops me.

"So you're the new girl, huh? I was expecting someone a little... uh taller." How did she know about me? And why does she think I'd be taller?

"Have we met?" I ask slowly keeping my face curious as I inwardly shrug. I would remember her if we had. She stares back at me,her sparkling eyes unblinking as she grins at me.

"Nah, I just heard the rumours..." The redhead grins at me trailing off before leaning in and whispering, "Is it true?" Is what true? I look around the group to see them all leaning closer, even the boys. My cover can't be blown already, can it? How the hell did she find out about it? "How did you know?" I ask in a low casual voice appearing indifferent to avoid attention from other tables.

"Well.." She smirks dragging out the word teasingly, playing with the end of her reddish blond hair before taking a deep breath. " I found out from Miranda, who heard it from Martin whose girlfriend's best friend found out from her boyfriend Adam who found out from Peter."

"Umm what?" How did this Peter figure me out before we met? " Haha no, of course it's not true. Total misunderstanding." I smile confidently at them as they sit back in disappointment, faces dropping slightly. Phew that was a close ca-

"That's not what I saw..." A new voice chimes in excitedly. " You totally stood up to him!" I turn around slowly and come face to face with a beautiful face. Her hazel eyes twinkle as she scrunches her nose up slightly and turns to look at me. " You're totally my new hero." Oh does she mean... "No one ever bests Mason. And his face! Ah priceless." Her black hair sways slightly as she throws up her hands in excitement and it looks much longer than to her middle back.

"Oh that. Well I don't really like bullies." I make a frustrated face and turn to face Macy. "People are so much nicer at this school than I was expecting. You know, me being new and all."

"Well, if you need a friend I'm always here." She pushes the bangs out of her face and looks down at her uneaten noodles. "Now let's eat! I'm starving." Her words seem to bring everyone out of a trance and they all get to eating, while I stand there awkwardly looking around for an extra place.

"Here, take this." I look over at the boy offering it and smile. He's friendly looking with warm brown eyes and a crooked smile. He towers over me, but that's no surprise. So does everyone else. He offers me the chair and I can't help noticing his arm mucles look as strong as mine. That's pretty impressive seeing as I can bench press one hundred pounds. I drag the chair up to the table and look around at the mixed crowd wondering if I will get an introduction.

"Everyone, this is Julianne. Julianne, this is everyone." I give her a sideways are-you-kidding-me glance and she rolls her eyes at me. "Relax, I was just kidding. This is Sasha." She points to the asian girl who questioned me earlier and Rachel smiles warmly at me making me smile back. I never could resist a smile. "That's Luke over there and Bridgett, Rachel, and Elina." She points them all out and they give me half friendly half wary glances. "Then there's Sadie, Andrew, Matt and Brandon." I let myself smile widely because their names are all so cool and I memorized them already.