02

I've always been told how dangerous it would be if I ever left my parents. They used to tell me stories of the time I had an older sibling. According to my parents, he snuck out and left them, soon being killed by a gang who wanted to get revenge on my father.

Come to find out, it was just that. A story.

There was no older brother. They had told me a made-up story to instill fear into my every thought of leaving them. I don't know why they are the way they are, but what I do know is I'm tired of playing along with it.

This is the longest I've ever been stuck in my room. Probably because I actually attempted running away. Either way, it's given me the opportunity to come up with a plan. A plan to get out. For good.

The same as every night, one of my father's servants approaches my room at exactly 8 pm, knocking on the door before opening it to grab the dinner tray I had barely touched.

"Is there anything else you need for the night, Addison?" she asks softly, obviously feeling bad for me.

I sigh, running a hand through my blonde hair. "Just a couple bottles of water will be fine," I tell her.

She nods, leaving and locking the door before soon returning with my request.

I then take this opportunity to take a short nap, knowing my father won't head to bed for at least another few hours.

Upon awakening, I grab my backpack, stuffing a couple of pairs of jeans, shirts, socks, underwear and other necessities inside of it, finishing with stuffing the water bottles in the side pockets.

A knock on the door causes me to jump, throwing the backpack into the closet and sitting on my bed sadly.

The door swings open, my little sister walking into the bedroom and closing the door.

"Stella?" I ask, confused.

"Shh," she says, pushing her finger to her lips. "Mom and dad don't know I'm in here."

I nod. "What are you doing here? You're gonna get in trouble."

Stella sighs, sitting beside me before glancing around, her eyes landing on the closet. "You're running," she whispers.

I look to the closet, my mouth dropping as I try to find the words to say. "Stells."

"It's okay," she says. "I won't tell."

My eyebrows furrow. "Why not?"

Stella shrugs. "I've thought about it, too. We both know this isn't the life either of us wants."

I nod. "I know it's not what you want. But don't follow my example, okay? Not right now. Wait a while, if you decide you're going to."

She nods. "I will, I promise. But you be safe," she tells me, grabbing my hands.

I grin slightly, squeezing her hands. "I promise," I tell her, pulling her into a hug. "I love you."

"I love you too, Addie," she tells me.

"Now, go, before you get caught in here," I tell her, holding in the tears that threaten to fall from my eyes.

She nods, quickly leaving the room.

Taking in a deep breath, I pull a shoebox out from beneath my bed, opening it to reveal two large wads of cash I've been stowing away for as long as I can remember. Birthdays, job commissions (thanks dad) and even that small period where my mom thought it would be smart to pay us for chores. Dad knocked that out real quick.

I put the money in my bag. Well, stuff it in my bag considering there's barely room left.

Swinging the bag over my shoulders, I shut off the lights in my room and go to the window, looking down to see the guards over by the other side of the house.

A few deep breaths later, I lower myself out of the window before letting go and surprisingly landing on my feet.

Step one. Complete.

That was the easy part. Now it's getting past the losers my dad hired to watch the house.

Staying as close to the fence as possible, I accidentally step on a twig, jumping behind a tree to cover my ass while the guards look in my direction.

Thankfully, as they near my hiding spot, a loud snap sounds towards the backside of the house, catching both of their attention. My eyes widen and I take my opportunity, quickly leaving the yard and turning back to see Stella looking out her window, giving me a thumbs up with a smile on her face.

She helped me.

Sighing, I give her a small smile, although I'm sure she couldn't see it.

You don't have time to waste, Addison. Move. I remind myself, quickly turning and jogging as far away from the house as I can before slowing to a walk, knowing I had made it far enough.

Okay, I made it out.

Now what?

***

she made it out!

now what? :P

much love<3