11

*Recap*

Blinking my eyes open, my bedroom takes over my vision, causing me to jolt up in bed.

Shit. Shit. Shit. How in the hell did I end up here? What's going on?

The door opens, my mother walking through and shutting it behind her.

*Present*

"Mom?" I ask, confused.

Almost immediately after I say the word, my brain switches and fists form by my side.

"Why the hell am I here and how the hell did you find me?"

"You could've been hurt, Addison! We saved you!"

"Saved me?! I was fine! I had a job and an apartment and even a friend!" I exclaim. "I didn't want to be here! I don't want to be here!"

"You need to be here, Addison. You have to be with us so we can protect you," my mother explains.

"I don't need your protection! Nothing bad has happened to me the entire time I've been gone! I don't know what else I can possibly do to show you and dad that I don't want to be here! I don't want to be part of this life, I want my own life and I need to follow what I want to do. What I want to do is be in California. I wanna be working my diner job and live in my apartment. And God, be with Joe!"

"Joe?" she asks, looking at me with wide, panicked eyes. "Who's Joe?"

I blink my eyes a few times, realizing what flew out of my mouth.

And be with Joe.

"Addison, who is Joe?" my mother asks, raising her eyebrows.

"Joe, he, um, he's a guy I met while working at the diner. We've gotten really close and basically spend every day together. Well, we did until we got into an argument."

"Does he know about us?"

"No," I roll my eyes. "That's kind of what the argument was about."

"Well, honey, I'm sorry. You don't have a choice. You belong here."

My mother leaves the room, locking the door from the outside afterward.

I sigh, closing my eyes and tilting my head up before feeling a vibration. I open my eyes, furrow my brows, and reach in my pocket where my phone still sits.

They forgot to take it.

I take it out, looking at the two texts from Caroline.

From: Caroline

Hey, where are you? Your shift started 30 minutes ago.

From: Caroline

Dude, I'm getting worried. You always answer. Where are you? Are you okay?

I lick my lips, quickly replying.

To: Caroline

Hey girl, I'm sorry. Something important came up. I have to be out of town for a few days. I'm so so sorry. I'll be back asap!

I then open a new message to Tiffany, letting her know that something came up and I had to leave unexpectedly. I also tell her I'll send her next month's rent if it becomes bad enough that I'll be gone that long.

After sending the messages, I take a deep breath, letting it out and laying back against my pillows.

Okay, how the hell do I get out now?