04

I slept later this morning than I have in I don't remember how long. The downside? I only have fifteen minutes to get to my interview.

Nevertheless, I brush my teeth and quickly take out the braid I had done last night, leaving my hair naturally wavy. I don't have makeup, not that I'd know how to put it on anyway. That was always Hope's forte.

Slipping on the nice shirt and pair of jeans I have, I tie my sneakers and quickly walk to the diner, walking in to hear the same 'ding' as yesterday from the door.

"Judy! Addison's here for her interview!" the same girl that was at the host's table yesterday says from the kitchen.

"Thank you, Caroline!" Judith says, coming out from the back and grinning at me. "Hi, sweetie!"

"Hi," I grin.

"Take a seat, take a seat," she says, pointing to an empty booth.

"Okay," I nod, sitting and licking my lips, placing my hands politely in my lap.

"Alrighty," Judith says, taking a seat across from me. "So, you said you've had no previous experience, right?"

I nod. "That's right."

"What brings you to the area?" she asks.

I lick my lips. "Well, honestly, I've lived a pretty sheltered life and I figured it was time to go out on my own. So, I ventured out and this town is kind of where I ended up."

She nods. "I've lived here my entire life," she grins.

"That's amazing. It must've been amazing to live in this town. It seems so... calm."

"Calm, yes," she nods. "Although it's also a reasonable distance from the party."

I laugh lightly, nodding. "Right."

"What would you say your greatest strength is?" she asks.

"Honestly, I think just my dedication to making it on my own is my greatest strength," I tell her. "I've been taken care of my entire life. I want to know what it means to have to do it on my own and I think this would be a great way to do that."

She nods, continuing to ask me questions, some of which I wouldn't have expected to be asked.

"Alright, I think this would be a good job for you," Judith says. "I won't lie, it's hard. There are many tasks you have to do and it'll be a lot at first. The pay isn't that great either," she tells me.

I nod. "I understand. But, I need this. I want this."

She nods. "Okay then! Let me go back and write down the first few shifts. Do you have open availability?"

"Yeah, completely open."

"What size shirt are you?"

"Medium," I respond.

She nods, coming back a few moments later with a small piece of paper. "Here you are. Starting tomorrow. Does that work?"

"It's perfect," I nod, standing. "Thank you so much."

"Absolutely," she smiles genuinely, handing me two shirts with the diner name written across the back. "See you tomorrow."

"Bye," I grin, leaving the diner and going back to the bed and breakfast, making my way to my room and locking the door immediately.

I got a job.

Wait, was this a good idea? I mean, I really should be staying hidden. If I go out and start working I'll be in public all the time which means it'll be that much easier for my parents to find me. I don't want them to find me. If they do, they're gonna force me to go back home and that's literally the last thing I want to do.

Taking in a deep breath, I sit on the bed, realizing that I was starting to be unable to breathe.

Calm down, Addison. You're in California. They're in Texas. They have no idea where you were planning to go. Hell, you didn't even know where you were gonna go. They may not even find you at all. Just. Breathe.

A knock on the door causes me to jump, looking over to the door and carefully opening it to reveal Christine.

"Oh, hi Christine," I breathe out, grinning lightly.

"Hi sweetie, I wanted to check in with you. Make sure you didn't need anything."

"I'm good, thank you," I tell her, grinning.

"Good," she smiles. "I know you went job searching yesterday, how'd that go?"

"Good, I actually just got back from an interview. I got a job at the diner a couple of blocks over."

"That's good!" Christine smiles. "Well, I'll leave you. I just wanted to check-in."

"Thank you," I tell her, starting to close the door. "Oh! Actually, Christine, I was wondering. My shifts start super early in the morning. I have to leave here by 5:15 am in order to make it to my shift. Is there stuff in the kitchen I may be able to have for breakfast since I won't be in for the actual meal?"

"Absolutely, sweetie! There's protein bars, oatmeal and frozen sandwiches I like to offer as well! Help yourself in the mornings!" she tells me with a genuine smile.

"Thank you so much," I grin and close my door as she leaves.

~

The next afternoon, I enter the B&B, going to my room and throwing off my sneakers into the corner. Sighing heavily, I collapse onto the bed, my feet aching and my brain swirling.

Don't take a nap, I tell myself. You need to be able to sleep well tonight to get up in the morning again.

Instead of falling asleep, I force myself to turn on the tv that hangs on the wall, scrolling through channels before realizing there's a Netflix button.

My eyebrows raise immediately.

My parents never let us watch tv after we turned 10. Double digits meant double the ability to focus on training.

Hope and Victoria, on the other hand, lived different lives. We met thanks to our parents. Their fathers live the same lives mine does, although their parents decide to allow them to make their own choices. Their fathers live my father's life. Their mothers, however, stay at home and homeschool them, take them on playdates with other kids, and let them live normal lives until they're 16. Then they get to make their decisions. Of course, after seeing how much I hated it, they both decided against joining their father's on the field. And that was okay.

I click on the icon, making the main menu for 'guest1', 'guest2', and 'guest3'. I, of course, chose the guest 3 icon, scrolling through the many movies and series they have to offer.

Deciding on a show named, "100 Humans: Life's Questions. Answered." I place the remote beside me and turn my full attention to the show, getting more into the concept than I originally thought I would.

By the time I checked the time, it was almost 7, which meant it was time to find food for dinner and go to bed in order to get up so early in the morning.

Finding a Chinese place nearby, I get some food and eat it in the dining area of the B&B before putting my leftovers in the fridge (with Christine's permission, of course), and heading to the bathroom, brushing my teeth, running a brush through my hair and lying in bed, falling asleep in no time.

***

happy Monday!

don't worry JOE IS COMING SOON!!!

i hope you have a good day and a great week...

a new chapter will be up FRIDAY!

much love,
shan:)