(35) The girl in the attic

The girl in the attic

Chapter 35

Preston’s POV

The next couple of weeks past by quickly. My parents helped me with all the papers to transfer schools and they had spoken to my aunt and uncle about me moving out. They didn’t tell them anything about Katie which I was grateful for. Most days we snuck out early and only came back late at night. We ate at the diner and spend most of the day cleaning our new apartment and kissing. We went to go visit Mickey a few times which made Katie really happy. I also enjoyed the visits and found Mickey to be a really good kid.

He had taken a turn for the worse and although the doctors had changed his medication and were doing everything they could for him things weren’t looking good. I had given my cell phone number to them and told them to phone me immediately if necessary.

It was the Tuesday morning before the end of the month when we got a call from the Sunflower House of Hope. Mickey was found dead in his bed. They thought that he was responding well to the medicine and that he was doing better the night before but they were wrong.

When the nurse told me the news my heart sped up in my chest and I felt sick. I had gotten to like Mickey and this was going to destroy Katie. She’s been doing really well on her treatment and I hoped that the news wouldn’t affect her recovery. She still gets sick and she has lost her hair but after I bought her a wig she felt much better. Katie was still asleep when my phone rang but when I was done talking and put it on my bedside table and turned around to wake her she was lying there staring at me with wide eyes. Through the telephone conversation and the look on my face she must have figured out what had happened.

“Mickey?” she asked softly as tears started forming in her eyes.  I couldn’t get myself to speak so I just nodded my head and scooped her into my arms. I held her tight as she cried and sobbed. It must have taken an hour or so until she finally calmed down.

After what had happened Katie didn’t feel like going out so we just stayed in bed watching movies and holding each other.  Later in the afternoon I phoned the Sunflower House of Hope to see if they had any information about the funeral. Apparently Lina had broken down when they were on the phone with her and asked them to organize everything. The funeral was scheduled for Friday morning.

My aunt and uncle had shown that they actually had a heart by giving Lina the week off. I was surprised to hear it but also very grateful, it would make sneaking around a lot easier. Katie was still sad but insisted that we go have pancakes at the diner and then add the last few touches to our new apartment

Once we were upstairs and the door was locked behind us she threw her arms around me and pressed her lips to mine. She kissed me with everything she had and I couldn’t help but respond. I kissed her, taking in the taste of her lips and the feel of her touch. I pushed her back slowly until we reached the couch and laid her down with me on top. We kissed some more before I pulled away and got up.

She looked at me with sad eyes but I just couldn’t do it.

“Not now Katie, you are grieving and in pain. Trust me I want to but when you are really ready,” I said with difficulty. There was nothing I wanted more then to make love to her but this just wasn’t the right time. She nodded her head in understanding and then burst into tears. I quickly sat down next to her and wrapped her in my arms.