(2) The girl in the attic

The girl in the attic

Chapter 2

Katie's POV

"Ouch!" I moaned as I fell down on the floor and felt a sharp pain shoot up through my leg. I forgot that I had put the box of clothes there earlier today and with the lights off I didn't see it. I sat there on the floor holding my breath and hoping that nobody heard the noise.

I don't want my Lina to get into trouble and lose her job, she really needs the money to look after Mikey. The Crawford's aren't nice people but they always pay her on time and enough to make sure Mikey's needs are taken care of.

I considered lighting the lantern but reconsidered, I knew Mr. and Mrs. Crawford wasn't home because I saw them leave earlier but the new boy was still somewhere in the house and I couldn't let him know I'm here. He might just tell them and then Lina would definitely lose her job.

I sat there for a few more seconds and was just about to get up when I heard footsteps and the sound of the trap door that led to the attic opening. I froze for a moment as different scenarios ran through my head. I jumped up and ran to the opposite side of the attic where I could get out. I threw open the window and quickly made my way out of the attic and down the branches of the old tree.

I had no problem making my way safely down to the ground. I always get in and out of the attic this way not wanting to take chances by using the front door. I dared a quick glimpse in the direction of the window and then sprinted to the old barn hoping that nobody saw me.

Preston's POV

I slowly got out of bed figuring it was probably just a squirrel or something but deciding to check it out anyway. I've already came to the conclusion that I wasn't going to get any sleep tonight so I might as well see what it was that made the noise.

I walked down the long hallway until I found the trap door that led to the attic and pulled down the steps. I slowly made my way up the stairs hoping I wasn't going to fall right through them as they complained under my feet. I eventually made it to the top and entered the pitch dark attic. The first thing I did was search for a light switch, there was no way I was going to fall myself to death in this crappy old place.

Luckily I found the switch quickly and flicked it on. There were only two dim lights in each side of the attic. They weren't very bright but gave off enough light to see where I was going.

I took a look around and was surprised when I saw the place was clean, there was a lot of boxes and old stuff standing around but it wasn't covered in dust like I would have expected it to be. It was extremely cold up here so I decided to hurry up so that I could get back into bed.

I quickly made my way across the floor being careful not to fall over anything as I checked behind some of the boxes. Everything looked in place and very normal until I got to the back corner that was right above my bedroom. There was a thin old mattress lying on the floor covered with an old pillow and some torn blankets.

Next to the mattress was a lantern, a few books and a box. I walked closer wondering what was going on when I felt a cold breeze hit me from behind. I spun around fast as the chill ran through my bones . The window on the opposite side of the room was open. There were a few windows in the attic but all of them were shut closed from what I could see.

I quickly ran over to the open window and gazed down into the yard. At first I didn't see anything but then something in the distance caught my attention. It was extremely dark outside but I could swear I saw somebody running into the barn.