(25) The girl in the attic

The girl in the attic

Chapter 25

Preston's POV

Katie sat on my lap holding on to me like her life depended on it until her tears ran out. Once she had calmed herself she pulled away from me and moved off of my lap and back onto the bed where she was sitting before.

"Sorry," she whispered looking embarrassed.

"You don't have to apologize, you didn't do anything wrong," I replied reaching out my hand and pushing a stray hair that was hanging in her face behind her ear. She flinched away at my touch but then smiled at me as if to apologize.

"I want to help you Katie but for me to do that you are going to have to trust me," I said looking her straight in the eyes.

"I do trust you and I appreciate everything you have done to help me but there in nothing left that you can do," she stated very calmly.

"I can try," I replied not wanting to believe that there really was no hope left for her.

"Preston," she whispered looking up at me with her sad eyes. I could tell that she wanted me to except what she was saying and to leave it alone but I couldn't do that.

"I have to try, I can't just let you die. I won't let you die!" I half yelled as I came undone. I could feel tears stinging at my eyes as I looked at her pleadingly.

"Ok, we can try but," she cut herself off shaking her head.

"But what?" I asked swallowing my tears so that they don't overflow.

"Don't get your hopes up," she answered weakly lying back against the pillows and closing her eyes.

My insides were turning as I sat there watching her. She was breathing heavily and it seemed strained. I waited until I was sure she was asleep before I grabbed my cell phone and stepped out of my room making sure to lock the door behind me. I didn't want Lina to accidentally go in and find Katie sleeping on my bed. I had to figure out a way to help her and myself, there was no way I could lose her when I only just found her.

I made my way downstairs and into the yard. It was cold outside but it was the least of my worries. I walked up and down trying to build up the courage for what I had to do. I knew the only way to help Katie was to get her to a proper hospital but to be able to do that I needed money and I had a feeling that it would be a lot more then what my credit card could handle. After about ten minutes I slipped down against a tree and pressed the dial button on my dad's number.

I had no idea where they were or what time it was there but I had to talk to him and ask him for help. It couldn't wait, I didn't know how much time Katie had left. The phone rang and rang until it went over to voice mail so I hung up and tried again.

"Hello" came my dad's tired voice from the other side. I could hear that I had just woken him and hoped that this wouldn't influence his decision.

"Hi dad", I said nervously into my phone.

"Preston? Is something wrong?" my dad asked when he realized it was me, he probably didn't even look at the caller ID before answering the phone.

"No, I'm fine. I just wanted to ask a favor," I replied figuring I might as well get to the point.

"You phoned me two o'clock in the morning to ask me a favor, couldn't it wait a bit?" he asked sounding irritated.

"I had no idea what time it is over there, I don't even know where you guys are," I replied starting to get irritated too. How was I suppose to know what the time was or where they were if they never even bothered to give me their travelling schedule.