(18)The girl in the attic

The girl in the attic

Chapter18

Preston's POV

Her words took me by surprise. I had a suspicion that the boy in the picture was her brother but somehow it still managed to shock me. I had so many questions I wanted to ask her but I kept them to myself for now. She wanted me to take her to see her brother and that was good enough for the moment.

"Yes, of course I will, when do you want to go?" I asked feeling happy that she was starting to trust me.  

"Tomorrow morning, it's too late now," she answered checking the clock on my bedside table. It was just after three in the afternoon.  

"Where is your brother?" I asked wondering where he could possibly be that it was too late to go visit him at three in the afternoon.  

"His at this place called The Sunflower House Of Hope, its a few hours' drive away," she replied with a sad look in her eyes. Once again her words shocked me and left me speechless, I wasn't sure what The Sunflower House Of Hope was but it didn't sound good. I took a deep breath and tried to straighten my thoughts before I focused my attention back on her.  

"What place is that?" I asked needing to know more, I know she said no more personal questions but I figured I was entitled to ask since she brought up the subject. She looked hesitant and shook her head.  

"Let's not worry about that now, you'll see tomorrow," she replied as a strange look crossed her face. I couldn't quite place it but I couldn't help but think she regretted asking me to take her to see her brother.

"Ok," I agreed figuring I could wait until tomorrow.  

"Do you still have the picture you found?" She asked. I knew what picture she was talking about immediately and got off from my bed to get it for her.  

"Yes, I'll get it for you," I answered walking over to my desk. I had hidden the picture in the back of one of one of my photo albums, I didn't want anybody to find it if they came into my room for some reason.  

"Is that your photo's?" Katie asked from my bed as I took the album out of one of the drawers.  

"Yes," I answered turning my attention back to her.  

"Can I see?" She asked as a small smile crossed her face.  

"Yea sure," I replied as I closed the drawer and walked back over to my bed with the album in my hands. I sat down next to her and handed her photo to her. She looked at it lovingly and then held her hand out for the album. I gave it to her feeling happy that she wanted to look at my photos, maybe we were really becoming friends.

She placed it on the bed in front of us and opened it on the first page. There was a photo of me and Devin standing in our football outfits. We had just won a championship match and were ecstatic, I can remember it very clearly. We had one huge party that night and I had one huge hangover the next morning. I smiled at the memory.

The next photo was one of me holding Sarah in my arms. She was smiling at me lovingly, this photo was taken only a few weeks after we started dating. I looked up at Katie's expression and was confused at what I saw. Her eyes looked sad but she was smiling at the same time.

"You look so happy here," she said taring her eyes away from the photos and looking at me.  

"I was," I replied honestly. I couldn't lie about it. I know that somehow Katie had changed me but I couldn't deny the fact that I had lots of fun with Devin and even with Sarah sometimes.