(27) The girl in the attic

The girl in the attic

Chapter 27

Preston’s POV

I laid there in bed with her until she woke up. I didn’t dare move not wanting to wake her when she looked so peaceful. She lifted her head from my chest causing her hair to fall in front of her face and my heart to skip a beat.

“Hi,” she whispered in a sleepy voice.

“Hi,” I replied unable to hold back my smile, this was one of those special moments that I would never forget.

“How long did I sleep?” she asked still not moving away from me like she usually did.

“I’m not sure, about two hours I think,” I answered moving my arm that was still around her body so that I could gently brush my fingers through her hair. She smiled at me and then sat up taking the warmth of her body with her.

“Are you hungry?” I asked getting out from under the covers and looking out of the window. The sun was setting behind the mountains in the distance and thick snow clouds were gathering in the sky.

“Yes I am but I don’t think I can hold anything down at the moment,” she answered looking a bit shy.

“Well I’m hungry and there is no way I am eating without you so you are just going to have to try,” I said trying to cheer her up.

“Ok, I’ll try,” she agreed.

I left the room locking it behind me and headed to the kitchen.

“Your dinner is in the oven,” Lina said from behind me startling me. I turned around and looked at her trying to figure out if she suspected something and why it seemed like she really didn’t care about Katie.

“Thanks,” I replied taking the plate out of the oven. She had made me a thick vegetable stew that would go down very good in this cold weather. I walked over to the cupboard where I took two slices of bread, placed them on a saucer and then headed back upstairs.

Katie was waiting for me on the bed where I left her. I sat down on the bed with her and placed the bowl with the stew in between us. I took one of the slices of bread and handed her the other one. She took it without hesitation but once she had dipped the bread in the sauce she just stared at it.

“What’s wrong?” I asked swallowing my first bite, I was starving.

“I’m scared I’m going to get sick,” she answered looking embarrassed.

“You don’t have to be, if you need to be sick then it’s ok but you can’t starve yourself because of it,” I said feeling really bad for her. I don’t think she was scared of throwing up, I think she was scared of doing it in front of me.

She nodded her head and took a bite of the bread. Her face lit up as she chewed on it letting me know how much she liked it.

“It’s delicious,” she said dipping her bread in the sauce again and taking another bite.

“Tell me about it,” I replied watching her carefully. The whole situation with Lina still confused me.

“Hasn’t Lina made this stew for you before?” I asked before I could stop myself. She looked up at me with a strange expression on her face and then took another bite of her bread.