(20)The girl in the attic

The girl in the attic

Chapter 20

Preston's POV

The drive to The Sunflower House Of Hope was long and we had to stop twice along the road. Once because I didn't use the bathroom at the diner and the second time was because Katie was getting car sick. She said that it always happens when she drives in a car but I wasn't sure if I believed her. She looked paler then she did this morning and she had to reassure me about five times that she was ok before I finally gave in and started the car again.

We reached the next town which was a lot fancier then the one we were living in and I followed Katie's directions to get to the place where her brother lived. Katie became quieter as we got closer and I could tell that she was nervous but I wasn't sure if it was because she was going to see her brother or because I was with her. When we finally arrived I was tired of sitting still for so long and thankful that I could get out of the car and stretch my legs.

From the outside The Sunflower House Of Hope just looked like a very big but normal house but I had a feeling that the inside wasn't going to be as homey. We walked up to the front door and entered without knocking. There was a small entrance hall that led into some sort of waiting room confirming my suspicions that this isn't going to be a very welcoming place. The floors were covered in white tiles and the walls were painted white as well giving the place a very clean and sterile atmosphere. It might be called a house but it was definitely a hospital.

Katie walked over to the front desk and I followed behind her wondering what the day was going to hold. I felt uncomfortable but smiled at her while we waited for the lady behind the desk to help us. I couldn't let her see how nervous and uncomfortable I was, that would only make things worse. When the woman was done on the phone she focused her attention on Katie who told her we were here to see her brother Mickey. The woman smiled politely and quickly checked her computer. She told us that we could find Mickey in room 2C and that it was up the stairs and down the hall. Katie thanked the woman and slowly started making her way to the stairs.

She looked nervous and when we reached the stairs she came to a stop and looked at me.

"You can wait down here for me if you wan too,t" she said with a shaky voice. I considered her words for a second trying to figure out if she was saying it because she wanted to be alone with her brother or if she just wanted to give me the option of waiting here. I decided that she needed me and that I was going with her now matter what she said.  

"No, I'm coming with you," I said smiling at her hoping that I was reading the situation right. She shook her head in agreement and took me by surprise as she gripped my hand in hers.

She just stood there looking at me nervously so I took it upon myself and led her up the stairs feeling happy that I decided to come up with her. When we reached the top of the stairs we set out down the hall looking for room 2C. Most of the doors were closed except for a few and I couldn't help but look inside of them. In one of the rooms an old man laid on his bed reading a book, he looked healthy and happy giving me a bit of hope that this wouldn't be as bad as I thought. My hope was quickly ripped away though. The next open door led to a scene that I would much rather not have seen. A teenage boy lied lifeless on his bed while an elderly man and woman stood crying next to him. I tore my eyes away from them as soon as I realized what was going on and focused my attention on searching for Mickey's room.

His room was almost at the end of the hall and when we finally reached it I felt both relieved and nervous. Relieved because I wouldn't have to witness any more of the scenes that was playing out behind the open doors in the hallway and nervous because I had no idea how sick Mickey really was or what was going to happen.

"Are you ready?" I asked turning to Katie who looked as pale as a ghost.  

"I guess," she answered as she took a step forward and pushed open the door revealing a young boy sitting on a bed. He looked about ten or so and had curly brown hair. His face lit up as he saw Katie and a huge smile formed across his face. I felt relieved that he was obviously not as sick as some of the people in this place.

She walked over to him and wrapped him up in a huge hug. He hugged her back and whispered something that I couldn't hear. It felt like I was intruding on their privacy and I was about to tell them that I was going to wait outside in the hall when Katie turned to me.

"I'd like you to meet my brother Mickey," she said gesturing for me to come closer. I took a few steps closer and smiled at the boy.  

"Hi, I'm Preston," I said holding my hand out to him. He looked at my hand for a second as if considering whether he should take it or not.  

"Hi," he said grabbing my hand and showing me some strange handshake. We practiced it a few times until I got it right and then I sat down on the chair at the window giving Katie some time to talk to her brother. She smiled at me appreciatively and sat down on the bed with him.

There was a made up bed next to his and I could see Katie looking at it curiously.

"Where's your roommate?" She asked with a shaky voice. I knew the answer before he said it but listened anyway.  

"Ben passed away three weeks ago," he said as a tear escaped his eye. He rubbed it away and changed the subject. They talked about a lot of stuff but nothing important until it was time for us to go home.

Katie took a hold of Mickey's hand and looked at him with sorrow filled eyes.  

"We have to go now but I need you to promise me something first," she said looking serious.  

"Ok, what is it?" He asked still looking happy.  

"I need you to promise me that you're going to be ok and that you'll take care of yourself," she said with a shaky voice. The look on Mickey face changed from happiness to concern as he listened to his sister's words.  

"I promise but you have to promise to come visit again," he said as tears filled his eyes.  

"I'll try but I can't promise," she said gripping his other hand as well.  

"No Katie! You have to promise!" He yelled at her. She swallowed her tears and took a deep breath before she answered him.  

"Ok, I promise but I have to go now," she said as she slipped her hands out of his and got up from the bed.

The look on his face was unreadable and gave me chills. Something was very wrong but I had no idea what was going on, Mickey obviously did. Katie hugged him goodbye and I followed her out of the room telling him goodbye as well. I could tell that she was upset. She didn't take my hand again so I followed her back to the car in silence.

We made it about halfway home when I couldn't take the silence anymore.

"What happened back there?" I asked needing to know what I had missed.  

"Nothing," she answered shortly without looking at me.  

"Come on Katie, I can tell something is wrong. Why couldn't you promise him that you will go visit him again?" I asked pointing out the confusing part.  

"His got cancer and I don't know if I'll be able to go to visit him again. I just wanted to say goodbye," she answered looking at me with pleading eyes as if she knew her answer didn't really make sense but needed me to except it. I shook my head as if I understood but knew there was much more to what happened then she was letting on.