Ch 6

Rose had been avoiding Norman ever since the lake event. She had a doctor's appointment the next day causing her problems at school when she returned. At school the kids had been... teasing her for being weak. She felt more lonely than ever.

Rose was helping Gold with his garden in the woods. The man knew she was upset. She kept on hitting the ground with her shovel harder and harder.

"How was your trip at the lake?" He asked to start up a conversation and see what was on her mind. But she stayed quiet.

"Made any new friends?" He tried again. This time, she stabbed the shovel to the ground to stay put.

"Why doesn't anyone like me? There is something wrong with me! Like I'm some sort of disease or something. My condition is that much of a problem!" She yelled out. Frustrated with herself.

"Hey, hey. Calm down. What's going on?" Gold asked, now worried for her. Last time Rose acted like this, was when she was angry with him way before the curse came into their world.

"Nothing." She muttered, But he wasn't going to change the subject.

"Clearly it's something. I'm all ears, that's what you want." He offered with a comforting smile.

She explained to him about Norman's random 'let's be friends' character. And she told him about her day at the lake.

"Sometimes I wish I could live a different life." She added after she told him her story. "Don't we all?" He agreed. He wished they could both go back to old lives.

"It sounds to me that Mr. Hawkins fancies you a bit." He said to get back to the point. He hated the thought of boys being with his daughter. But to his surprise, she laughed at his comment.

"Who would like me like that? Besides, he's weird." Gold was happy to hear her statement. He couldn't help but smirk proudly. Quickly hiding it from her before she could see.

***************

Rose was walking to her house, her tank trailing after her. As she passed by Granny's Diner, Norman noticed her and followed her.

"Rose." He said. She, however, continued walking. Not planning to stop for anything.

"Rose, please. I'm sorry." He tried again and managed to stand in front of her to stop her.

"42." Was all she said. Throwing him off.

"42 for what?" He asked.

"#42 is meeting someone I don't like. It's my to do list for my life. Like make a medical discovery, be in two places at once, get a tattoo, ect."

"So a Bucket list?"

"Yes."

"But you're not dying. Why do you have a list then?"

"Because I am dying." She corrected him. As for him he didn't know if what she said was true or not. Did she just say-

"What?" He asked sadly. He never knew. She never mentioned it. No one did. He continued staring at her for an explanation or for her to say she was kidding. But she didn't, instead she looked down at her feet.

"My condition... it's getting worse and worse. Unless a miracle happens. If anything, I will only live if I get Impossible treatment soon. Like a lung transplant." She admitted in a whisper. But to him, her words were loud and clear.

"I-I didn't know..."

"Because I just found out. Look, I just want to live now and be happy for who I am. Not be what everyone wants me to be. And right now, I need to be with Henry." She said and walked past him. Hopefully now, he will definitely leave her alone. No one wants a dying girl.

"What's #1?" He asked. She turned around to face him.

"It's a secret." She simply said and continued her walk. Leaving the teenage boy alone with his thoughts.

When she got home, she entered the house and closed the door hard to announce her presence. Then the doorbell rang. She groaned, annoyed by the thought that Norman was on the other side of the door.

"Norman, leave me-" But instead of Norman, she found Graham.

"Sheriff? What did Henry do now?" She asked. What is that boy up to now?

"Hi Rose. He didn't do anything this time." He said. Maybe he is here for Aunt Regina?

"My aunt isn't here."

"Actually, I'm here to see Henry. I was hoping he could help me." He explained She then took a good look at him. He didn't look good. Almost sick.

"May I ask why?" She asked, feeling worried about the situation.

""It's about his book." Now Rose was speechless from his reason. What does the book have to do with him?

"Henry! You have a visitor." She called out.

***************

Rose was making tea for Graham. He looked uneasy, that he needed to be in a calmer state. She was about to enter Henry's room with a tray of cookies and tea for them, but then Graham came rushing out of the room. Quickly giving them his goodbyes and left through the front door.

"What happened?" She asked Henry, who was now standing by her side and took a cookie.

"He remembers a little bit of his old life. His fairy tale life!" Henry cheered excitedly.

"Henry-" But the boy continued cheering.

"He's the huntsman. The one who let Snow go free!" There's no stopping him now.