Ch 4

Rose was dusting the objects around Gold's shop when suddenly there was an earthquake. Causing Rose to fall from standing on a chair to clean the objects on a high self. They were puppets.

She rose up from the ground, her hand began to sting painfully after moving it a little. She got a nasty cut from the, now, broken puppets that also fell with her.

Gold came in running from the backroom to check on her since he heard her scream.

"Rose! Rose are you alright? You're bleeding!" He dragged her to the backroom with him to bandage her damaged hand.

"I'm fine, Mr. Gold. I'm sorry about breaking your..." She looked at what she was holding in her other hand. She had completely forgotten what she was cleaning. But she gave a weird look.

"Puppets?" She finished saying. They were creepy looking. Looking back at Gold, he was more focused on her hand than his shattered merchandise.

"There you go, finished. You may take your leave now, Rose. And rest that hand of yours." He said and opened a closet.

"But-" He cut her off by handing her an umbrella. It reminded her of Mary Poppins.

"An umbrella?" She questioned him.

"It might rain tonight. Make sure you stay indoors. And take the day off tomorrow." He said. She gave him a questioning look.

"Why is it always me getting hurt? And when I do, you always give me a day off?"

"I care about your safety." He simply said, like it was normal. And to him it was, but to her... no. She knew he was hiding something else. Maybe later he will open up more to her

***************

Rose was having dinner in the dark castle by herself. She hated these moments when her father would be gone for hours on 'business'. Sometimes she wondered if the man ever worried about her. Of course he does. That's why he built this largely empty castle so far away. To protect me. That's why I'm not allowed to go outside the castle walls and be with people

Then, the large entry doors opened. Revealing her father with a face of glee and another surprise was wrapped up in a large cloth.

"Hello, sweetheart. I see you're doing well on your own." He mentions.

"It takes years of practice." She muttered to herself. But he didn't miss it, he heard it. And felt a stab in his heart, feeling hurt. It seems she is still having trouble warming up to me.

"What's that?" She asked and pointed at the mystery object that's tucked in his arms. He unwrapped the cloth, showing an umbrella to her.

"An umbrella? Unless it's magical, why an umbrella?" She asked him again. He made a squeaky giggle.

"Its much more than just an umbrella. I saw a governess fly with it. She said it helps her travel overseas, ect." He explained. She had her arms crossed, waiting to hear what he traded to get it.

"What did you do?" She asked, almost afraid to hear the answer... again.

"Turned her into a bird."

"What!" She yelled. It's the snail story all over again.

"She complained how she hated children and the family she worked for. She wanted out without them finding her. So, she asked for a new face."

"And instead you turned her into an animal."

"She wanted freedom, that's what I gave her. Wings to fly away and be free."

"I'm certain that's not what she meant."