Chapter 13

Knock! Knock! It had been the first person to come to the door since the butler left. Cleo and Fei were keeping a close eye on the door and on Mrs. Cornwell. Since the potential known murder weapons could either by cyanide or a gun, all things could be suspicious. The gun could be hidden in the front pocket or perhaps maybe even behind the head. The cyanide was even more dangerous! If the killer had put it in the source before entering the room, it could potentially be too late! Cleo's mind ran through multiple outcomes of what could happen as she watched, ready to pounce. Mrs. Cornwell is a pretty old woman, but quite strong for her age. Unfortunately, she was easily gullible and could be in great potential danger. However, this was the last time to capture the victim. It was a deal or no deal. If the killer succeeds, the next target will be Fei, herself. Which by the time, would be too late to capture the killer. Fei could feel her heartbeat fast inside her chest, as she kept an eagle eye on her mother. Even though she couldn't, she wanted to be there, alongside her mother to be with her. Everyone was tense. The maiden had walked in. "Hello, Mrs. Cornwell! Here is the handkerchief you ordered! It is freshly folded from the laundry. Please don't hesitate to call me if it doesn't match your standards." said the maid with a bold smile as she walked over to Mrs. Cornwell. As the maiden's body turned, Fei noted the pink cloth in her pocket. "Thank you, ma'am. I am pleased," said Mrs. Cornwell as she dismissed the maid. The maid has officially left the room and Fei and Cleo began to whisper. "It wasn't her. She had coloured cloth," informed Fei to Cleo. "Yes, I'm aware. So the next window for the killer to strike is when the water is ordered. We shall wait patiently." replied Cleo. Some time had passed as everyone in the room fell back into the tense hush. Suddenly, another knock on the door. "May I come in ma'am?" asked a voice. "Yes!" replied Mrs. Cornwell as she opened the door consciously. The cook stepped in, very calm, holding a cup of water. Mrs. Cornwell went back to her bead as the cook stepped in. Oddly enough, he closed the door behind him. "Ah, Mrs. Cornwell. I'm so sorry about the recent events of the family. It really hurts my heart. I just had to deliver this water to you personally to express how I feel. " said the cook as he placed the water aside. "Oh cook! Thank you for your concern...." continued Mrs. Cornwell as the conversation filled the room.  Fei's eyes searched the man's body for any kind of pink cloth or paper. "Cross," whispered Fei very quietly to Cleo knowing that the conversation was too loud for the people to hear them. "Note how the water hasn't been given to your mother yet," whispered Cleo as she stared at the glass of water across the room. "Wow! I really needed this type of consolidation. I am so thankful I have such wonderful cooks like you...In fact, all this talking has got me thirsty. Can you please hand me the water?" asked Mrs. Cornwell. The cook had walked to the empty glass while continuing the conversation and thanking the woman. As he turned with the water, Cleo saw the perfect time for the cook to poison the water. A bottle, with the label....."Cyn..." had slipped through his sleeve just so he could take out a pill. He quickly popped the pill into the water without even looking. "Cyn...CYANIDE! THE POISON!" Cleo thought as she got her camera ready. "Enjoy your drink," said the cook while smiling warmly to Mrs. Cornwell. "MOTHER! STOP! DON'T DRINK IT!" screamed Fei as she jumped out of the closet and threw the drink away from the cook's hands. Cleo quickly took the surprise jump from Fei to capture an image of the culprit with the flash on so that the light would blind him. Almost as fast as everything had happened, the cook was running down the stairs to the lower floor. Fei and Cleo ran after him while Cleo looked at the picture. Red eyes...this was definitely the culprit. As they followed the cook into the basement, they purposely let the cook get a head start. They needed to know where he was headed as there wasn't any chance of escape in the basement. They silently watched the cook see where he headed. The cook had run into a common antique mirror placed against the wall. He stepped right into it with his body seemingly dissolving as he passed through it. "Phase 2. Capture" said Fei as Cleo followed her further down the basement.