Chapter 10

Standing there, isolated from her mother and the housekeepers, Fei watched her only sister be carried away. Her heart throbbed as her tears now felt like acid against her face.  In anger, she straightened her posture and wiped her tears. The most logical plan now was to protect those vulnerable while finding the killer. Fei stormed downstairs and ordered for the best security guard available within the household. "Yes, ma'am! That would be me!" said a muscular woman as she stepped forward. Fei walked the guard towards her mother's room as she told her the orders. "Hello mother!" said Fei, feeling happy that there was still somebody from her family. "Fei, darling! Fei! Don't leave me! I don't know anymore! I feel scared and overwhelmingly heart-broken" cried Mrs. Cornwell as she hugged Fei close to her heart.  Fei hugged back as she felt her mother's tears soak in her hair, "I know, I know it's hard mother but we cannot give up. I have brought here a security guard to keep you safe. " reassured Fei. "But, what about you?" asked Mrs. Cornwell as she embraced her daughter. "Don't worry about me. Protecting you is much more important," responded Fei with a strong sense of duty. "Glad to see you have finally became a Cornwell," said Mrs. Cornwell as her eyes began to tear up, "which is why I must give you this document before you go. It's about your father's will.". Fei took the document and began to read it, she was shocked to see what she had originally thought of to be proven true. "According to the DNA test results, you are indeed the first biological daughter of Mr. Cornwell which means you are the greatest inheritor of his will. As I am sure from Fred's death, you must have also learnt that I am not your biological mother.  Fei, you are not adopted, nor are you, my biological children, you are still my family. I'm sorry for not telling you this sooner. " explained Mrs. Cornwell as Fei further read into the DNA analysis. Fei put away the document safely and turned towards her mother and responded, " I really appreciate you for telling me about my history. Whether you are my step-mother or not,  I will still call you mother ". Mrs. Cornwell smiled as she held her daughter's face in her hands, "You couldn't have made me any prouder Fei. I love you!" she said. "I love you too!" said Fei as she hugged her mother once again and left the room. The maiden had climbed up the stairs with sweat dripping down her forehead. "Sorry for my messy attire, Miss! But I must inform you, there is a special phonecall for you asking for your presence in the court. I have arranged the driver and everything so you can leave immediately. Would you like me to do anything else?" asked the maiden in a rushed manner. "Yes, I would like you to place the recent security camera footage in my room. Also, look after my mother and tend after her needs, please. Thank you very much! " thanked Fei as she put on her coat to leave. "Hello, Mr. Shom! To the court please!" said Fei as she buckled in. "No problem!" said Mr. Shom, the Cornwell driver. During the car ride there, Fei thought of the weird dream she had recently. Memories of the little girl swimming in her tears and the name "Cleo" began to circulate around her mind. Lost in thought, she got a little frightened when the car stopped with the driver saying "You have arrived at your destination!". "Thank you!" thanked Fei as she exit the car and entered the court. "Ah, Mrs. Cornwell! Great for you to be here on such short notice! You see we have detained a woman saying that she has been hired to work for you. However, we have no previous records of her. What do you think of this matter?" asked the Judge. "Um....I would like to see the person first please," responded Fei quickly as she needed to know how it was before making her decision. They walked down a long corridor past the official courtrooms and finally got the detainment cells. "Right here, ma'am! Also, here are the documentation papers for her occupation. I will send an attorney here but I must go back to the courtroom. Come see me when you have made your decision." concluded the Judge as she left the cells. Fei took a long stare at the girl and realized she was the girl. She was wearing the amulet the her father had worn in those old pictures. She also had those orange locks that floated in the waters of her dreams. "My name is Cleo! Nice to meet you! " said the girl as she held out her hand. " Hi! My name is Fei," said Fei as she shook Cleo's hand.  "Eureka!" thought Cleo as she was shaking Fei's hand, this was the girl! "I found her! Now, I must somehow bring her out of this mess" thought Fei as she was shaking her hand. "Would you like to follow me to the courtroom? I have made my decision," asked Fei as she followed the attorney. "Wow! That was fast! Oh no, I hope she accepts me.." thought Cleo as her mind began to think of the different possibilities as she followed Fei into the Courtroom. " Great to see you make decisions fast! Great timing too!" said the Judge as she prompted Fei and Cleo to take the benches close to her on the opposite sides of the room. As Fei took her bench, she was given another legal document and a pen by the attorney. " Please state your decision and sign the documents accordingly," said the Judge. " Yes, I officially approve of this woman as a part of my family workforce. She was hired at an earlier time but due to sudden events, we were not able to efficiently transport her here. " said Fei boldly while making up other facts to support her case. "Yes!" rejoiced Cleo in her head as her plan was working, she no longer had to run from those officers! "Understandable." said the Judge as she opened a file and started writing new notes. Fei signed the documents and handed it back to the attorney who handed it to the judge. Looking through the documents, Fei smiled and looked at the Judge with bright eyes, hoping to make her case believable. "The case has been approved by me. Case closed. Court adjourned." concluded the Judge. Cleo had internally cringed as she grabbed her belongings and walked through the exit while thinking, "Now....for the confrontation.....again."