Trials [ short sad thing ]

Can you imagine what's going through Dean's head in this moment? This very moment after learning what could/would happen to Sam

Can you imagine what's going through Dean's head in this moment? This very moment after learning what could/would happen to Sam. How they worked so hard to do these trials and for him to learn he would have to lose someone so dear to him. Someone he raised, someone he practically was sealed to the hip to? His entire world is crashing in this very moment and you can see it in his eyes. You can see everything come to a halt—the wheels turning in his head and realization when Sam doesn't care what happens to himself. They knew it would have some consequence, something harsh—but never thought it would be earth shattering.
And that's when Dean knew, he had to say no. He had to stop Sam, even if that meant evil would still soak up into the earth. Even if that meant demons would roam the earth freely, hell hounds—one of Dean's worst fears—would be free to drag souls to their damnation.

But, that didn't matter.

As long Sam was by his side, his life would be complete. Sam was his other half, and he would die before letting him finish these trials. Even with hell on earth, he still couldn't feel at home without Sam at his side.

Emptiness and loneliness are two of the same. And Dean didn't want to ever feel it again.

Stopping Sam from finishing these trials was one of the very things he would never regret in his life.