Chapter 28

♡ chapter 28 ♡

        Serenity was relieving to feel when I woke up slowly the next morning. A blissful slumber, I had woken from, might I add. And I had almost forgotten the broken boy that had fallen asleep with his arms wrapped around me last night.

        I didn't mean to be a creep, but I stared at him was what felt like a long moment. One arm angled and tucked under this head, the other strung out from where I was just laying. His chest rose and fell slowly, ensuring he was asleep and I don't think I've ever seen anyone look so at ease before. Especially after the truth he revealed last night.

        My chest ached for him as I slowly slid out of the bed, careful not to wake him. I grabbed my clothes for the day before tiptoeing across the hall to the shower. I heard the boys chatting in Noah's room and bustling downstairs, so I hurried in the shower so Harry wouldn't wake up among my atrocious family.

           Entering my room again while dragging a brush through my wet hair, Harry was laying on his side with his eyes opened just the slightest. As if it were bright and he were squinting yet I kept my blinds closed specifically so he could sleep. Both of his arms are pushed under the pillow, and he gave me a lazy smile.

        "Good morning, Dracula."

        He rose an eyebrow. "Dracula," he repeated, his tone still rough from sleep and I found myself swooning before I could help it.

        "Yeah," I managed to say, standing in front of the mirror to do my part. "You're squinting like the sun is indoors."

        "Pardon me for not being a morning person."

        "It's almost eleven."

        Harry shrugged. "Still too early. Your bed is extremely comfortable, by the way."

        "Jacob threatened to steal it once."

        "Why am I not surprised."

        I laughed and Harry stood to stretch. I felt bad that he had slept in his clothes last night, but so had I. We had been too busy talking and playing petty children's games to really care. And yet even with skinny jeans and a blouse on, I slept better than I had in a while.

        After giving Harry a brief warning of what he may encounter downstairs, I told him there were extra toothbrushes in the bathroom for him. After that, we had walked down the stairs and into the kitchen to see candy strung out across the table.

        Noah saw me and grinned. "And you said I was too old for trick-or-treating."

        I rolled my eyes, yet smiled as I walked past and grabbed a kit-kat out the pile. "Good thing you got extra for your adoring sister."

        He took his turn to roll his eyes.

        Neil spotted Harry, frowning some. "So you're dating one of the most popular guys in school now?"

        Harry gave me an odd look, and I sighed. "Neil, do we really need to go through the whole age ordeal again?"

        "No," he muttered, rummaging through his candy again.

        Bill nudged him. "I bet he actually knows how to talk to a girl."

        "Says the boy who hid in a closet during his birthday party because Katherine Meyer showed up."

        I zoned out, turning to Harry. "Do you want breakfast?"

        He slid into a barstool. "Will you accept 'I'm not hungry' for an answer?"