Chapter 8

♡ chapter 8 

            Jacob and Ivette were sitting on her front porch when we drove up. He had stayed the night with her since his parents are all whacked, but she never minded too much. Ivette had her bathing suit cover on, and Jacob a simple t-shirt. She had a bag in her hand with sunscreen and extra towels so she could (most likely) lay out and tan.

            Currently I was smashed in a car with Mike driving, Brady in the passenger's seat, Harry in the back on the left window, me in the middle, Estella by the right window, and Kim in the third backseat. That left exactly two spots left and I had already warned Jacob and Ivette about Kim's... harshness.

            But knowing them they'd sass back without hesitation, so I don't think it'll be much of a problem.

            Estella stepped out so they both could climb in, but Kim was lying across the seat. She had her earbuds in, so she hardly acknowledged them. But then I saw the look in Jacob's eyes and I slapped a hand to my forehead.

            He yanked an earbud out, giving her a look. "Um, excuse you but I'm trying to plant my ass in this seat."

            Kim scoffed, rolling her eyes while Mike and Brady snickered in the front seat. "Sounds like a personal problem to me."

            "It'll be your personal problem when I plant my ass on your face."

            Crinkling her nose, Kim groaned before sitting up and leaning against the window. Mike and Brady finally busted into hysterics as Jacob sat in the middle seat, a victoriously grinning Ivette sitting beside him. I couldn't help but to giggle as well, and soon Estella joined in.

            The only two who weren't smiling were Kim and Harry.

            Biting my lower lip, I fiddled with my fingers and dared to glance over at him. He was blankly staring out the window, looking lost in thought in that particular moment. Mike began driving once more, turning on one of his CDs he had stashed in the center console. I was decently relieved when I heard the familiar melody.

Am I more than you bargained for yet,

I've been dying to tell you anything you want to hear,

'Cause that's just who I am this week...

            I mouthed along to the words, but mainly listened to Brady and Mike trying to hit each note. It was quite hysterical, really. It's not that there were any high notes, and I think they were mainly just goofing off. But it was entertaining to watch.

            Harry nudged me with his elbow on the third song that I couldn't pinpoint, and I turned my head to look at him. "What's your favorite kind of music?"

            Pursing my lips, I shrugged. "I like all kinds, really. Except I can only tolerate so much rap and I'm not that good with that hardcore metal stuff."

            Harry nodded, a glint shimmering in his emeralds I couldn't quite depict. "Well, I like a little of that hardcore stuff, I suppose. But I'd have to agree with you on the rap." And then his lips twitched ever so slightly as he said, "Let me guess, Eminem?"

            I smirked. "Maybe."

            Harry bit his bottom lip as if to suppress a smile and then looked out the window again to where I couldn't see his face. Pressing my lips together to keep from sighing, I leaned forward on my elbows and gazed out the front window. My anxiety was increasing the closer we got to the beach, and I was trying my hardest to hide it, but I had my reasons for being so petrified.