Chapter 9

♡ chapter 9 

            Walking out of the water, I folded my arms across my chest to hide my still trembling hands. Harry followed me, telling Mike and Brady one more time what a douche move they had made but I tried to ignore it. I was at the beach with a bunch of immature teenagers. What did I expect? For them to expect my fears? Maybe I had, but it was stupid of me to do so.

            Ivette asked me if I was all right as her and Estella got up to go cool off, and I simply waved her question away. She knew me better than that, anyways, and by the teasing smile on her face, I think she knew I enjoyed some time in the water. And I was right when she whispered to me about how tight Harry seemed to be holding me. Of course my cheeks flushed and I shoved her shoulder as she giggled, jogging with Estella towards the water with everyone else.

            It was just Kim, Harry and I now, but Kim had her earbuds in so I doubted she would hear anything. We both sat on the towels and Harry draped one over my shoulder, earning a sheepish thanks from me in return.

            He squinted up at the sun. "I forgot to put on sunscreen. It's getting to be painfully bright, too."

            "You should probably put some on, then. You don't want skin cancer, do you?"

            Harry shook his head, digging into the towel bag to pull out the kind you rub in. "My mum doesn't think the spray one soaks in all the way," he said as he rolled his eyes. "She doesn't comprehend that this is for babies."

            I smiled. "No, it's not. I mean, I rarely go in the sun but I use that kind on my face when I do."

            Harry pursed his lips. "It makes me feel belittled."

            "How so?"

            "Because I can't rub it in all the way. It's garbage."

            I laughed. "I'll... um... I can help you?"

            Practically 989769% sure my cheeks were on fire, Harry seemed as if it were no big deal as he shrugged his shoulders. It probably wasn't a big deal, but I was about to help Harry Styles rub in sun screen. If Jacob were sitting here right now, I would never hear the end of his perverseness. But I didn't think of it that way; my mind was on the fact that I would be touching his back muscles.

            Maybe that is kind of perverted?

            I shook my head to rid the thoughts.

            After I helped him rub in the cream on his face (yes, I had to stop myself from drooling at the fact that I was touching his flawless face), he rubbed it in on his arms and legs before giving me the bottle to do his back. I perched on my knees behind him, squirting a decent amount into my hands before beginning to rub it in.

            My lips quirked into a smile as I found myself writing instead, just because I randomly thought I could. It could be a nice message for him, although he can't read it, but maybe he could use it as advice.

            Harry tried to look over his shoulder, his eyebrows furrowed. "What are you doing?"

            "Writing you a message," I said.

            "What does it say?"

            I pursed my lips for a moment, Harry turning his head just the slightest to where our eyes met. "It says 'smile'."