Chapter 25

♡ chapter 25 ♡

        I'm fine," I said for the umpteenth time all week. It's become a routine for me to repeat those two little words, as if everything bustling around me didn't bother me. As if I wasn't aching from the repetitive remarks and comments and stares. As if I weren't the center of the entire school's attention.

        "Stop lying to me," said Jacob as he placed his hands on his hips. "No one believes it, Grace. Which is why you're coming out of the house. It's Halloween, for God's sake."

        "Which is also why I'll sit home eating junk food and watching Netflix all night," I countered.

        Jacob groaned and Ivette said, "But you love Halloween, Grace! We know it's your favorite holiday next to Christmas. So stop being such a Debby Downer and come on."

        Harry and Brady hadn't really said anything after my mom had rudely asked why they were here with Ivette and Jacob. Jacob had said something sassy, but I was locked away in my room and didn't particularly care. I've been locked in my room when school wasn't in. In fact, it took all of me just to haul myself out of bed in the mornings.

        Brady sighed. "Grace, time out would be good for you. Besides, Mike will probably stir trouble and get arrested and we can all laugh at him and his douche friends."

        I noticed how he glanced over at Ivette, but she hadn't even flinched as she stared at me. "Please, Grace. Just come out tonight and we won't bother you the entire weekend."

        Fiddling with the bracelets I was wearing, I bit my bottom lip. "I don't know."

        Jacob and Brady shared a look. "All right, then we'll just carry you out."

        "What-"

        But I was already being slung over Brady's shoulder to argue. I didn't even have the energy to yell at him to put me down, so instead I sighed and let it happen. They wouldn't listen to me anyways. They were determined to get me out of the confinements of my room.

        Harry was walking behind Brady and I looked up the best I could to meet his gaze. Something flickered behind those eyes, but I couldn't tell what it was. I wanted to say something witty about him allowing this to happen, but my drained mind couldn't come up with anything.

        "I expected her to put up a fight," Jacob said, frowning at me. "This is more serious than we thought. She hasn't even tried to sass me yet."

        "This is uncomfortable," I said. "Your shoulder is digging into my bladder, Brady."

        He situated a little as if to help, but it didn't make a difference. He apologized, saying it was too risky to set me down, but I only sighed in return.

        Ivette and Jacob were murmuring things to each other, Harry trying to listen in with concern filling all of their faces. But I couldn't bring myself to care. They were concerned for no reason. Why would they worry about such a screw up like me? Chase - the entire school - has made it clear that I'm nothing but a speck of dirt on the ground.

        Ivette explained to my mom that they were taking me out, and no one listened to her shouts as they carried me out the door. She was taking Noah, Bill and Neil around the neighborhood anyways. They were still fascinated with the idea of dressing up and trick-or-treating. Usually, I would dress up as well, but what would it matter?

        Setting me easily in the backseat, Brady gave me a sympathetic smile before taking his seat up front next to Mike. Harry sat in the middle beside me, Estella, Kim, and Ivette filling the third backseat as Jacob sat beside Harry. The car was packed and still all I felt was loneliness.