Chapter 13

(PLEASE COMMENT A LOT BECAUSE YOU LOVE ME AND I LOVE YOU AND OKAY, THANK YOU SO MUCH ILY GUYS xx)

(Btw, sorry if the spacing is weird because I got a new computer :D it also didn't bold or italize what I did so sorry cx)

♡ chapter 13 ♡

        The next day I was in a not-so-great mood. Mom had been cooking dinner when I walked in to get a snack, and she had asked me if I was ever going to get over her remarrying. Honestly, the conversation went a little like this:

        "Truthfully, I think it's downright stupid that you're marrying to my teacher when you didn't even tell me the two of you were together until you got engaged."

        Mom had shook her head. "How many times do I need to apologize?"

        "This isn't about apologies, it's about you always lying to us."

        And of course, she had exploded. Something about how we need to cut her slack and how she tried her hardest but her alcoholism had gotten the best of her. At this point I was beyond furious and was yelling back. The fight didn't end until Noah came downstairs to tell us we both needed to calm down.

        So today I had been on "avoid people" mode.

        During lunch, I was in the library catching a new read, Mistress by James Patterson, and thumbing through the pages. We had decently comfortable chairs in our media center, so of course I was kicked back and comfortable. And I had a book, so it was a bonus.

        Until I heard the voices nearby.

        "Stop being such a twat and look down the aisles!"

        It was Ivette.

        "Stop being such a nag and give the girl the privacy she clearly wants."

        And Jacob.

        Both were hushed by the librarian, but they continued to get closer. And soon the two of them appeared in front of me, Ivette with her concerned smile and Jacob with his furrowed eyebrows.

        "Hey. We haven't seen you all day," Ivette said. "You okay?"

        "Please tell her you're fine so she'll stop smacking me in the head," Jacob said.

        Ivette tapped the back of his head with her fingers.

        "Like that!" Jacob whined.

        I mustered a smile, flipping the page in the book. "I'm fine. How did you guys find me?"

        Jacob rolled his eyes. "Please. If you're ever looking for a distressed Grace, it's a no-brainer to go to the nerdiest place possible."

        I took my own turn to roll my eyes. "How nice of you to be so concerned."

        He sighed. "I'm trying to cheer you up. Usually my sassiness helps, doesn't it?

        "Sometimes." I squirmed, growing uncomfortable. "I don't want to talk about it. Thanks for the concern, but I'm fine. Just me and my book."

        Ivette frowned. "Stuff with your mom?"

        I nodded.

        "You heard the girl," Jacob said. "She wants privacy. It's not good to invade that, Ivette."