In Her Heat - Chapter Seventeen

HEEY ! AS I PROMISED, HERE'S ANOTHER CHAPTER! MERRY CHRISTMAS!

and Eid and Hannukkah, Kwanza, Diwali, etc. **please excuse my ignorance if I missed a holiday celebration or put one that isn't celebrated now **

ENJOY!

****

Damon stood slowly, like you would when you were unsure of a man’s sanity. “Ashton, what are you doing?”

“Shut up, Damon. Move to the window. Now.” With the gun, he gestured to a large floor to ceiling window on the far side of the room.

Damon slowly came around the side of the desk and shielded my body with his. “How did you get out of your prison, Ashton?” Damon asked. I couldn’t see his face, but I knew he was stalling for time. My heart thundered as we stood there. I could see Ashton’s face, the only emotion he showed was burning anger, and that was not a good sign.

“Well, Damon, you’re going to have to talk to your guards about slacking on the job. One of them carelessly leaned against the bars of my prison cell and I swiped his taser. I’m pretty sure you can imagine how things turned in my favour at that point.”

Damon swore and sighed. I, on the other hand was pissed off. What kind of idiots were working on prison duty these days? I might get killed or kidnapped because of them. When we got out of this, I was going to pound their faces into the asphalt.

“What do you want, Ashton?” Damon asked tiredly. I couldn’t imagine how this must be for Damon. I mean, what if things came down to saving his brother or the pack? I knew which one I wanted him to choose, which one he should choose, but still, that had to be hard on him.

“You’re not stupid, Damon, I think you know what I want. But for Ainsley’s sake, I’ll list them. Firstly, I want to be Alpha. And I would have gotten it if my long lost half-brother hadn’t conveniently arrived on the reserve about a month before the death of Liam. You don’t deserve the Alpha title. You haven’t lived on the reserve nearly as long as I have. But somehow, Dad thought you fit the position better than I would. Well he was wrong, and now I’m going to take what was rightfully mine. Forcibly, if I have to.”

“Even if you did become Alpha, nobody would follow you. You would have no pack. These werewolves on the reserve know a good Alpha when they see one, and you, my good brother are not one.” Damon said quietly.

With lightning quick movements, Ashton stepped forward and pistol whipped Damon across the face. “Shut up. Shut up! Don’t you dare tell me I’m not a good Alpha, damnit.” He growled in a low voice. His tone sent shivers down my spine. He was really pissed off now. Where the hell was Cade when you needed and wanted him? The man seemed to pop up when he was the last person you wanted to see, but somehow when you needed him he disappeared.

Could he be in cahoots – yes, cahoots- with Ashton? I shook the thought from my head. Cade wasn’t that kind of man. I would know if he was.

But you didn’t suspect Ashton, my traitorous mind whispered.

Oh, you shut up! I snapped back. Now was not the time for mind conversations. I had to focus on the situation at hand.

“As soon as I get rid of you,” said Ashton, “I will take Ainsley, and we will mate. This will, of course start the prophesized war, and it will be between you and I. Then we will have the foretold twins who will win the war, and bring me great riches. All weres will be jumping to join my pack with the riches I will have.”

“Have you given any thought at all to how you will keep the war going as you raise these kids? Nobody will be in your pack – you will have no army,” Damon pointed out.