In Her Heat - Chapter Twenty Four

I buried my face in a pillow, embarrassed, not caring how idiotic I felt. I was still upset about what happened a few weeks back.

I felt the bed give way as Cade sat down beside me. For a few minutes we sat in silence.

"Are you embarrassed?" He asked. I could hear the clear amusement in his voice. No shit, Sherlock, I thought. But I didn't say the words out loud. "You know it's perfectly natural," he offered. Again, I said nothing. "It's nothing I didn't know before. I am were." Gee, that one helped a lot. A few more moments before he spoke again. "So you're not going to talk to me?" No reply from me. "We're just going to sit here, not speaking."

I shrugged. "I didn't ask you come," I finally said, snappishly.

"Damn it, Ainsley!" The frustration was clear in his voice. He got up and began to curse under his breath. "Do you have to be so damn stubborn?"

I was miffed at that statement. I threw the pillow on the bed.

"Firstly I am not stubborn-" Cade didn't let me finish.

"I know I messed up a little-"

This time I cut him off. "A little?" I snorted. "You couldn't make a bigger understatement if you said the sun is a little hot."

He glared at me, gray eyes flashing, smoking. I glared back. What, did he expect any less? Sighing, he ran a hand through his hair. His hands curled into fists and he seemed to be working to keep calm. With one deep sigh, he turned to me.

"Ainsley, I did it for you. I did it to keep you safe. You don't know what Ashton is capable of. I know how ruthless he can be. I've fought enemies alongside him. If I thought we could achieve what we needed to through verbal means, I wouldn't have granted permission. You have to understand it was done for your protection, not any vengeful desires of anyone." His eyes urged me to understand, to agree, to forgive. I ached to touch him, to hold him. But I couldn't... could I?

No. I refused to be swayed by what seemed to be concerned. "I can take care of myself, Cade." Maybe not with what I was up against now, but I wouldn't tell him that. Instead, I added, "I've done it for years."

"I know you can, sweetie," he said, "but you're up against forces you don't know about, haven't seen. The evils you'll see within the were-world... they make human crime seem like a comedy act. If something ever happened to you, Ainsley..." His words cut off as he swallowed hard. He seemed deeply affected and I couldn't stand not to touch him anymore.

I pushed myself off the bed and into a standing position. I closed the distance between us. With every step I took, the heat ratcheted and my body tightened, seeking the now elusive release. When our bodies were separated by mere inches, I raised my hand and cupped his cheek.

He sighed, and leaned slightly into my touch. My heart warmed at the action, even as my body went into overdrive, producing wetness and firming my nipples even more. His nostrils flared as he took in my aroused scent. He groaned and leaned his forehead against mine, his hands coming to lightly rest on my hips. He touched my lightly, as though he were scared of what a firmer touch would do to my sensitive skin. But even his light touch had my hips slightly bucking, on instinct.

"Ainsley." The word was more a ragged breath than a whisper, that fluttered across my flushed skin. I closed my eyes and took in the scent of him, the feel of his stubbly cheek under my smooth palm. "I only wanted to protect you."

"Cade," I said softly. I could feel my defences weakening, crumbling, slipping away as my arousal grew, becoming more intense, and demanding attention.

"What... What I feel for you," he started, "it's almost overwhelming at times," he admitted. I felt my heart swelling and my eyes welling up."I just want you. More than physically. Emotionally. I want your heart, your laughter. I want your dreams and your fears, Ainsley. I want you."As I opened my eyes, a tear slid out of one, snaking down my cheek. My eyes caught immediately on his, misty gray with emotion.