In Her Heat - Chapter Six

After I finished eating I stayed in the room. I'd locked the door so I could be alone and away from the guys. After about an hour, I'd found a bookcase in one corner. It had tons of classics, but also some modern day stuff.

I was currently sitting on the bed, reading Wuthering Heights. Or trying to, at least. I couldn't understand what the hype around the book was all about. It was dry and dull. I couldn't even get past the first chapter. Frustrated, I threw the book at the door.

Just as it was about to come in contact with the wood, the door flew open and a hand whipped out to catch the book. Reese stood there grinning. "How did you know it was me?" He asked.

I resisted the strong urge to smile back at him. "The question is, how did you open the door? It was locked."

"I might have learned to pick a lock a while ago," he said.

"Really? Way to show me you're the good guy. What other little talents do you have?" I said sharply, my eyes locking furiously with his. I was mad at myself for wanting to forgive him. "Can you hotwire a car? Pick an old lady's pocket? Maybe you can rig an alarm. Or-"

"Stop." The command was dangerously uttered. My wolf recognized the authority and obeyed, the submissive idiot. "I get that you're overwhelmed about being a female wolf. But that doesn't give you the right to be a bitch."

I winced and lowered my eyes. "Sorry."

He sighed. "It's okay."

Silence fell for a moment. "So really, why are you in here?" I asked.

"We've got to leave now. Everything is already packed."

"So we're going to the airport?" I asked, climbing off the bed.

"No, we've got a private jet waiting. It'll take us directly to the reserve."

"Seriously, we're going to the airport?" I asked. I didn't believe the whole private jet bit.

"Seriously, we've got a private jet waiting."

"I'll believe it when I see it." I brushed him slightly as I left the room.

"Whatever floats your boat, darling," he drawled.

I walked into the kitchen. By the door, I could see a duffel bag and Ashton hauling a third to sit among the others. I grabbed a bag of Lays Originals chips and went over to him.

"So where are those heels I picked up before?" I asked him.

"In the closet, right side."

I took a look. The shoes sat there. When I'd grabbed I hadn't wondered if they would fit or not. "Size?"

"Six."

"Brand?"

"Louboutin."

I nodded. Impressive. He knew my tastes. I loved expensive things even though I couldn't afford them. "That's wonderful but you don't expect me to wear

them, do you? Firstly, it's not practical and secondly, they don't go with my outfit."

"Silver flats are in the closet to the left beside the red Pradas." He said.

It was every woman's dream - a closet filled with designer shoes. I took a look in the closet. Prada, Gucci, Dolce&Gabbana, Louboutin, Guess, Manolo and Fendi shoes crowded the small closet; some in shades of blue, green, red, yellow, brown and many in black and silver. I finally spotted the silver flats and pulled them out.

"Why all the silver?" I asked. He couldn't possibly have done it on purpose.

"Silver is in right now," Ashton replied. "We're ready," he said to Reese.