In Her Heat - Chapter Thirty One

“What the hell, Cade? What is all this?” I asked. I felt like I was in prison. Who knew, maybe next he’d make me wear an orange jumpsuit so he could pick me out in a crowd. Talk about overprotective.

“This is me keeping you safe,” replied Cade. He even had the audacity to shrug as if it were no big deal.

“No,” I said slowly, “This is you being my jailer,”

“I’d rather be your jailer than your widow.” Damn. Well what could I really say to that? Cade sighed wearily. “Look Ainsley, I can’t lose you. You’re my heart. If I lost you...”

I turned into his body, hugging him tight. “You’re not going to lose me, Cade.”

“Just... just humour me then, okay?”

“Not very funny to me,” I grumbled. Cade laughed softly and held me closer to his body. I could feel our heartbeats beating together, as one, in a steady pace. As long as I had Cade I would be fine. I tipped my head up to look at him. Those gray eyes captured me, mesmerizing me. I could stare into his eyes forever, and I intended to. “I love you, Cade.”

He smiled at me tenderly. “I love you more.” One of his hands rose to cup my cheek and his thumb brushed along my jaw and the soft curve of my cheek. Slowly, he guided my lips to his before finally sealing them together.

I melted against him, as I always did. It was a slow, lingering kiss but it didn’t fail to get my heart racing. I went on my toes and curled one hand around his nape, wanting more of him. I could almost forget we weren’t alone when Cade kissed me like that.

“Hey lovebirds,”

But then someone had to go and ruin it.

Very, very reluctantly, I let go of Cade and turned to face the speaker. Cade licked his lips before speaking and parts of me tingled, wishing it were me licking over those soft, incredibly talented lips. “Ainsley, you remember Declan. He’s the right hand man of security,”

“And I have the right hands for many, many things,” said Declan with a wink.

I laughed. I knew we were going to get along great.

Cade, however, was not impressed. He pulled me into his side, his hand gripping my hip tightly. So tightly, you’d think he didn’t want me to have one. He growled and I rolled my eyes.

“Cade, relax,” I chided.

“Don’t worry man,” Declan said, raising his hands in surrender. “I’ve got my eyes on another woman,”

Hm, I thought to myself, I’m going to have to find out who that is. I smiled to myself before realizing I probably looked crazy.

 “Just make sure you keep her safe,” he growled. The words were spoken in a tone that sent uncomfortable shivers down my spine and held an undeniable undercurrent of threats.

Declan sobered up quickly. “With my life.”

Cade nodded his approval before turning to me. “I have some things to take care of. You stay with Declan. I’ll see you later tonight.”

“Don’t miss me too much,” I said, smiling. Things around here were gloomy enough without Cade in a bad mood.

His eyes softened as they did only for me. Snaking an arm around my waist, he slowly reeled me into his body as he had before. The only difference was that this time I could feel his sexual desire for me. I lost my ability to breathe. Cade’s mouth covered mine, conquering it. His tongue slipped around mine, toying with it. With a gasp I raised my hands and threaded them through his inky black hair.