In Her Heat - Chapter Thirty-Two

My mouth dropped open. He liked Kat? Oh, my time in this basement apartment definitely would not be boring.

“Am I the devil?” She asked slyly, stepping into the room. The slid shut with a definite thud. The sound chilled me. It sounded like someone was locking me in with no way of getting out. I did not like this place one bit.

“In the flesh,” said Declan with a grin. As her gaze landed on Declan, her eyes went straight to my hand on Declan’s wrist. One eyebrow raised, an unspoken question. I blushed and pulled my hand away.

“I have been told I’m pretty hot,” she replied. Kat winked at him and I saw Declan swallow hard. Oh, he was so hooked.

Kat walked over to me and wrapped her arms around me. “Ainsley! It’s been a while. As usual, I’ve been hearing a lot about you,” she laughed.

I joined in with her laughter. “Oh I can imagine.”

“What happened this time?” she asked. “Cade’s been running all over the place and word is it’s because of you. He told I was supposed to stay down here with you, but he didn’t say why.”

I sighed. “Things are never normal for me.”

Kat joined me and Declan on the couch. I told her what had happened with the note and its message. When I finished Kat whistled slowly through her teeth. “You seem to be pretty popular with the Were world,”

“If only I’d been so popular in high school,” I said good-naturedly, rolling my eyes. “How long do you think we’ll be down here?” I asked Declan. I hadn’t been down here for long but already I didn’t like it. It was too confined.

He took a deep breath and slowly let it out as he thought. “Honestly? There’s still so much of the prophecy to be completed. Until it’s all done you’ll probably stay down here.”

“What? What more do you people want from me?!” This was ridiculous. I’d already given them my old life, now they wanted my freedom?”

“Ainsley, you don’t understand-”

“No, you don’t understand! You’re free to prance about however you please, but I’m stuck down here like some wanted fugitive. Don’t tell I don’t understand.” I pushed myself off the couch and stomped away. The carpet didn’t really help my case, as it turned my heavy steps silent. To add to this, I had no clue where anything was down here. “Where the hell is the bedroom?!”

By their giggles and chuckles, they found my anger amusing. Kat managed to point to a door, her arm shaking with laughter. I yanked the door open, stalked inside and slammed it shut behind. I plopped down on the bed, piping mad. Laugh at me, will you, I thought. I hoped those two were happy together.

A few minutes later, a knock came at the door. “Ainsley?” It was Kat’s voice.

“Go away,” I called. “And you better get Cade’s ass down here right now.”

“Ainsley, don’t be like that,” said Kat.

“NOW!” I really not happy right now. I just wanted Cade to hold me and tell me everything was okay.”

I heard Kat’s steps as she walked away from my door. The fact that I could hear her walking away – Kat, stealthy as her namesake – meant that my own were senses were beginning to sharpen. I scrunched my nose and sighed. Life was not going easy on me right now. I didn’t know how much of this I could take. The stress of it all was getting to me, clearly and recent events were not helping.

I stripped down to my underwear and slid under the covers. I curled my body into myself and shut my eyes. I hoped that sleep at least would have mercy on me and not take too long to come. Just as I was about to drift off to sleep, a knock sounded at my door. Somehow I knew who it was without asking.