11 - Family Reunion

CHAPTER ELEVEN: FAMILY REUNION

      The scenery was familiar and Alex had some good memories, but she associated it for the most part with the worst period of her life

The scenery was familiar and Alex had some good memories, but she associated it for the most part with the worst period of her life. She was extremely nervous walking up the steps of what used to be her old childhood home. In the two days since the phone call, she had been very jittery and both Jackie and Jake had called her out on it, not knowing the reason.

But Alex didn't tell them. How could she? Few people knew of her past and that included the captain at their precinct as well as Barry and she kept it that way. The more people knew of what happened...the more she would be pitied. And she hated pity.

Anxiety seemed to flood in her as she scanned the very streets she had once played on. Memories played at the back of her mind like a broken record, repeating over and over again. There was one memory that was constant and that was the day of her abandonment.

Alex shook her head, trying to remove all the nerves she felt. "You can do this," she mumbled under her breath. "You're Supernova. You can do this. Be brave."

She walked up the familiar steps, her gait confident. Straightening herself, she pressed the bell. That brought about another round of memories. Alex could hear footsteps, like someone was coming to open the door. She couldn't recognize who they were though. She released the breath she didn't realise she was holding and steeled her nerves. The door opened.

"Hello, m-" Alex faltered in her greeting. Because her mom hadn't opened the door. It was a boy, a teenager who was probably fifteen or sixteen, hunched over his phone. When he looked up to meet her eyes, Alex froze. He looked strangely similar to herself, with similar eyes and the same nose structure.

He narrowed his eyes as he looked at her. Judging by his stare, Alex guessed that he was trying to understand why she looked so much like him. "Who are you?"

"I...uh..." Alex paused, unable to find the words. Her heart was slowly making its way to her stomach as her nerves spiked once more. Did she have a brother she didn't know about? This wasn't real. This couldn't be real, could it?