If I Can Love You, Why Can't You? - Chp 1 [Brand New Day]

Dream/Send me a sign/Turn back the clock/Give me some time/I need to break out/And make a new name/Let's open our eyes/To the brand new day/It's the brand new day~Ryan Star - Brand New Day

"It's good to be home." I admitted a heavy sigh escaping me in exhaustion.

Dad sat the last box on the counter brushing his hands off he spoke as he crossed the kitchen to the fridge "So how's school?" he asked his head in the fridge.

I rolled my eyes whilst his back was turned to me "These are holidays, which means no school talk." I said half irritated half not; it was nice that at least one family member found my education important. When I spent time with mum it was all fashion, gossip, work or parties; basically her. When I spent time with Adam, my older brother, he liked to discuss other things like university, paintballing I mean it was interesting but nothing I could relate to. But then it always irritated me about discussing school because it was the main reason I moved, well one of them.

Dad chuckled bringing me back to the blue kitchen in dad's house; maybe I should start calling it my house or ours...

"Your mum?" he asked proceeding with the usual questions.

"Trying to keep on top being pop." I said smiling at the phrase that me and my father had come up for my mum since the day she moved and became someone else.

Mum was constantly networking as she tried to keep up to date and number one out of her mixture of friends, she didn't mind though, she loved popularity and parties.

Dad nodded as he reached for two glasses off the shelf "Heard from Adam lately?" I asked as I propped myself up on the counter.

"Yeah, talking to him last night actually. Uni is treating him well." I smiled; I couldn't agree more.

"So" I began as dad handed me a glass of orange juice "how has life been down here?" I asked than taking a sip.

He shrugged "Same old, same old." He said scratching his head as he placed his cup in the sink, my eyes unable to note that dad had upgraded himself with a dishwasher, or had it already been here before he moved? I guessed the latter option. Either way work must have been getting better.

"Work been good." He said as if he could hear my thoughts "Getting good business now that the area is expanding." He explained. Dad was a mechanic; he loved his cars which always comforted me as it meant that we had some similarities, though I couldn't say the same for my mother and me.

Dad pushed off the edge of the bench "Well I gotta finish the lawn so I'll let you hunt around and settle in." he said as I nodded swallowing the final essence of my orange juice.

With dad gone I searched the house; blue kitchen, small but cute lounge room, a nice cream bathroom that I'd have to share, a bland laundry and two bedrooms; a burgundy (dad's) and one white one (now mine). Smiling in approval at dad's new house I went back to the kitchen to grab my boxes and bags.

Dad had ended up selling the old house to find a more suitable and cheaper house and to be honest a more comfortable one, I mean this house suited dad, the old posh house we all grew up together in didn't. I couldn't help but realize that the same went for me, posh was never my thing, I liked simplicity. Compared to where I had left, I didn't know why I hadn't stayed here those ten or so years ago, actually I did, mum didn't leave me a choice, nor Adam. And I would never get those possible moments back with dad. It was obvious though that mum and I never shared a close bond and my roots were with my father, though that gave her more incentives; it hurt my father. Anything during the time of their abrupt spilt that hurt dad was good. Mum moved to Sydney and built a new life and expanded to become the queen of popularity where she fell into the scene, where she belonged. Though I never had that opportunity, until now. Adam and I followed or were rather dragged along, at a young age, Adam finished school ad left to university in Wollongong. Meanwhile dad stayed back, alone. The tension between my parents had ceased to just a slight buzz of awkwardness, dad I don't think would ever get over it, but he had gradually started building his own life and breaking free by letting go. We talked and saw dad reasonably enough through those years and now I was living with him.

Unloading my gear I mused to myself about what the next steps were; school wouldn't start until the holidays ended and they had only just started. I had my best friends to catch up with from here that I had kept contact with after I had left. I had exploring to do of the town again and of course my sanctuary of books, that were piled high in the corner, were here to keep me smiling. 

It was just as I finished my last box that dad walked in sweaty and exhausted as he collapsed on my bed making me smile. It was how I have always seen my father; sweaty and exhausted yet always smiling and laughing. Getting up I stretched.

Looking around my room he spoke up "You know I think sometime soon we should head to the hardware store to brighten this place up." He said.

He had a point the only color was from my dona cover which I had bought from mum's, the rests was white including the desk and walls, the floor was boarded.

"Really?" I asked instantly brightening up at the thought and possibilities "Thanks dad."

He pushed himself up and rubbed his big rough hands together "Time for tea." My stomach growled just at the thought, I patted it, I had completely forgotten to feed myself, the last thing I had eaten was breakfast and then I was on a plane down to Wagga Wagga and dad drove us back to home now, Dame Hills, from there. I also hadn't realized how quickly time had gone in one day.

Getting up I followed dad into the kitchen. I was excited with tea with dad, dad was an awesome cook, mum on the other hand...well we kind of learnt to fend for ourselves. Dad made his way into the kitchen turning into cooking mode as he hunted for the gear needed.

I pushed myself up on the kitchen stool watching dad. His tall body made him appear awkward, as instead of tall and skinny he was tall and built; unbalanced. Dad use to always say that his job was more than enough exercise and he'd got that right judging by his muscles. He was in a flanlet shirt and his working jeans. Watching him cut some vegetables I noticed the odd scars up his arm, nothing serious, just the odd ones from work. I smiled as I remembered when I was little and I use to crawl onto his lap and nestle up against him and breathe in his musky dirty scent of oil and petrol as my tiny fingers would trace those scars. Looking down I caught my not so tiny fingers now.

"Hey you don't mind having the usual veggies and meat?" he asked.

My stomach instantly growled in approval "Course not." I said smiling he smiled and turned to open a cupboard "The kitchen's good." I noted "It's roomy." I added.

He scratched his head than pulled his hand through his dirty blonde hair with his calloused fingers.

"Yeah." Was all he could say as he stood distracted "Where is it?" he murmured to himself searching thoughtfully.

"Uh, dad?" I asked as he spun around to look at me his angular and sharp face full of confusement "Sink." I said simply.

He peered down into it smiling wide he pulled out the frying pan and set it on the stove "Thanks squirt." He said still smiling.

We sat there talking and laughing throughout the rest of the night, from preparing and cooking it right through to finishing it and feeling as stuffed and satisfied as can be. As soon as I had finished tea and loaded the dishwasher my eyes were instantly drooping. Walking into the lounge room I stopped in the doorway "Think I might go to bed." I said stiflingly a yawn.

Dad looked up from the TV "Sure thing kiddo." He said smiling "Night."

I smiled sleepily back "Night." And I turned to my bedroom and crawled into bed dreaming of new beginnings and all that was about to change.

________________________

Click the external link for my Facebook page

So you guys know my drill; vote, comment and maybe give me a fan, yeah? Do it, I dare you ;) Xx

-------------------------------------

All Rights Reserved

Copyrighted Material ©

-------------------------------------