Chapter 27

I sit in the cafeteria watching the students line up to grab whatever the cafeteria ladies decided to make today. Slowly filing in and out with plates full of food and sitting in the many scattered tables around the cafeteria. I turn my gaze from the line to the double glass doors at the entrance of the cafeteria. I part of me hopes the Kobie will walk through those doors but he never does, and I sit there looking pointlessly. I see Allison shift in her seat before I see her fingers in front of my face as she snaps her fingers and suddenly every sound in the cafeteria floods into my ears and I turn to Allison.

"Are you okay Josh?" She asks.

"Yeah, er, I just zoned out I guess, I'm sorry what were you two talking about?"

Allison rolls her eyes and looks at William before they face back at me. "Well I heard that TJ is planning to throw a birthday bash at his house and it is bring your own beer to get in. Would you be down to go?"

"Of course that prick is throwing a party" I think. "Yeah, when is it?"

"I think it is in a couple of days. This friday actually. William and I are going to go, and it would be amazing if you went with us." She says.

I know Allison is trying to be nice, but every time she mentions her and William, all I can think about is that my two best friends are now a couple and that I will continue to be single as they age in the relationship and later get married and have a few kids. She is my best friend but it always hurts a little to see them in the hallways kissing and laughing together.

"Yeah, I'll be there. Are we meeting there or?" I ask trailing off.

"No, William and I will pick you up from your house." She says with a smile.

I smile back just as a group of wrestlers walk into the cafeteria. I look over Allison's shoulder, desperately looking for Kobie, but he is not among the group, and strangely enough, neither is Audrey. I turn to scope the cafeteria to see if he might have slipped in while I was talking with Allison but neither of them were in the cafeteria, and I got an uneasy feeling in my stomach.

I turn to Allison, who looks at me with a worried look. "What's wrong?"

"Oh, nothing. Sorry, I just thought about my next period. We are doing a group project and I was trying to see if my partner was here."

Allison continues to look at me, and I know she knows it a lie, but instead of trying to dig any deeper she looks down at her food and continues to eat. I let out a breath and scope the room out one more time for any sign of Kobie before I turn and begin eating my lunch.

-

I walk out of the front of the school with the same thought that was running through my head all day; Where was Kobie? I continue to walk down the stairs when I see a group of girls and one of them looks familiar. I turn to see Audrey standing in the middle of a group of girls. I turn and sit on a grey concrete bench a few feet away from them and listen.

"Oh my god Audrey, what happened?" Says a girl with short brown wavy hair and dark skin tone.

"Well," Audrey says, "Kobie was really frustrated because that little queer boy, Josh, was telling him something this morning, and it really got under his skin and I wanted to make him feel better because he looked like he was in a real bad mood."

"O.M.G. I bet that little perv was trying to get into Kobie's pants. I heard he tried to get into his pants at your party Audrey." says another girl with long straight blonde hair.

"What the fuck bitch. He was the one who came up in me and kissed me!"

"Oh my God I know! And my friend Melissa has Kobie and him for first period gym and tells me that he's always staring at him and his junk!" Audrey says.