Chapter 12

I wake with a cold sweat running down my back and a throbbing headache. I sit up and rub my head before I slowly get off my bed and shuffle over to my dresser and slip on a pair of grey sweatpants and a black hoodie. I lift my hood up over my head and slowly walk out of my room and down the stairs.

I can hear my mother in the kitchen making food while she hums. The smell of toast and slightly burned bacon fill the air as I make my way down the last few steps before walking across the living room into the kitchen. My mother hums to herself as she stands in front of the stove. The bacon sizzles and pops and my mother takes a long sip of her coffee as she watches. I look at her and she looks young. I never looked at my mother as an old woman, but at this moment she looked younger than her age. She looked happy like there was nothing to worry about except for the bacon. She takes another sip of coffee and places the cup on the counter next to the stove and turns towards me. She jumps and lets out a little scream before she places her hand over her chest and struggles to catch her breathe.

"Jesus Christ, Joshua, you scared the shit out of me."

I step back and raise my hands as I smile at her.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to," I say as I walk over to a cabinet and pull out a coffee cup.

"Hey, while you're there can you pull out a plate for the bacon?"

I set the cup down next to the coffee maker and walk over to collect her a plate. She grabs it and instantly starts filling it with bacon as I pour myself a hot cup of coffee.

"I was just about to wake you up for breakfast, what are you doing up awake already?" she asks jokingly.

"I could not stop thinking about the way Kobie kissed me." I think to myself.

"I just woke up early, I guess," I say as I pull out a chair to sit. My mother places two plates on the tables and sits down in the chair in front of me. She places some bacon on my plate along with a few fried eggs and a piece of toast.

"Oh," she says, nodding her head, "Well the Agadora dinner is tonight, and I said I would help set things up, so after we eat I am going to get ready and go, is that okay?"

"Yeah," I say shoving a fork full of egg into my mouth. "Why wouldn't it be?"

She smiles and starts to eat her eggs.

"Since you're going to be gone all day, can Allison and William come over?"

She takes a bit out of her toast and looks at me as she chews.

"What are you guys going to do?"

"Watch movies and just chill her at the house. If we need anything, I can just send William to go receive it."

"Fine, just don't break anything or drink. I know how much wine is in that bottle so don't even try Mr."

I nod my head and we continue to eat. When we finish, I stand up and grab all the dishes while my mother runs to her room to get ready for dinner. I put them in the sink and pull out my phone and text Allison and William.

'Hey want to come over?'

A few seconds pass before Allison texts back.

'Yeah sure what time?'

'Around 4?"

'Sure!" She texts.

I smile at my phone, but quickly realize that William has not text back. He must be doing something with family today, and I am fine with that. I can hang out with Allison.