Chapter 25

I walk into the house where I see a few tote bags and a large purple suitcase. The light smell of cigarettes linger in the air as my mother and I make our way to the kitchen, where she places her bag on the counter. She opens the refrigerator and begins pulling out chicken and spices when a familiar voice speaks out from behind me.

"Nonsense dear, put that away! I will be treating you two tonight to a rather nice restaurant I saw coming up."

I turn around to see my grandmother in a black suit with a long, thin silver chain hanging from her neck, and a silver watch on her wrist. She stands tall with her hands on her side and a burning cigarette pinned between her fingers.

"Mother, please. I can cook us a meal."

My grandmother waves her hand. "I will be waiting outside. The restaurant just looked so divine!" She lifts the cigarette, taking a long drag before turning and blowing towards an open window.

"Jesus mother! Not in the house." My mother puts the chicken and spices back up as my grandmother walks out of the kitchen and towards the front door. I set my bag down next to the counter and we walk out towards the car.

My grandmother sits in the passenger seat finishing the last bit of her cigarette just as my mother and I walk out the front door. We lock it and climb into the car shortly afterwards.

My mother drives out of the driveway and my grandmother starts giving directions as she looks out the window. I turn and join her as I watch the houses turn into business streets. I stare trying not to think of Kobie, but my grandmother doesn't help bury these thoughts.

"So, Joshua, how is school?" My grandmother asks, looking at my through the rearview mirror.

"It's.. er, it's going good."

"Don't lie to my Joshua. If there is something happening you can tell me."

"Yes. Grandmother there is so much happening. I fell in love with my crush and we had sex at his house and then I met his parents and then someone caught us and now he is gone. There is so much happening." I think to myself. "No I just have a lot of tests coming up that's all. But I am sure I'll be okay."

She continues to look at me before she look forward and yells at my mother to turn left. I shift and start looking out the window again, and start thinking about Kobie. I blush as I think about us having sex in his bedroom, feeling his warm, soft skin next to mine. His breathes running down my neck and dissipating into bliss. The blush soon turns to anger. He left me, he hates me, and he never loved me. But a little part of me knows that's a lie, and if it isn't I still love him. It may sound stupid but I still love him after all he has done to me.

And I hate myself for doing so.

-

I lie on my bed, looking at the black screen of my phone waiting for it to turn on with a text message from Kobie, or anyone in that matter. Ever since William and Allison started dating I have either been the third wheel or nonexistent. They stand in the hallways kissing and laughing, and cuddle during lunch, while I slowly break down inside knowing that I had my soulmate, but only for a second.

I sigh and turn over on my back, looking at the ceiling when I hear a knock on the door, and a familiar voice on the other side.

"Sweetie, may I come in?" My grandmother ask.

"Yeah," I say as I continue to look at the ceiling.

She cracks the door and peeks her head in and looks at me before giving me a warm smile and walking into my room. She closes the door and sits down on the bed next to me. We stay there for a second , surrounded by silence before my grandmother clears her throat.