Chapter 20

"So you're telling me you got suspended for a few days?" I ask as I sit on the long leather couch, a few feet away from Kobie who lies sprawled across the end of it. He stares at the ceiling as a smile slowly crawls up his face.

"Mrs. Jackelson says that I am going to be suspended for a week, so I'm going to need you to bring me my work for English." He says not turning his head to face me.

"You really think that you're going to do your homework?" I say jokingly.

He smiles before he suddenly jumps off the couch and walks across the large room towards the kitchen at the other end. "You want a coke?"

I shake my head and he shrugs his shoulders before he disappears behind the wall. I look around his living room in shock that I am actually here. The walls are a light shade of yellow, and there is a light fixture hanging in the middle with a large marble table under. To the left is a red brick fireplace with a large grey carpet and two leather couches on either side of it. Paintings line the walls and a few family portraits hang above to fireplace mantle. I slowly stand up and walk over to examine them. The photo seemed recent and showed Kobie standing behind a beautiful woman with dark brown hair, and to his left is an older man with a balding head. As far as I can remember Kobie did not have any siblings so this had to be his mother and father. Under the family portrait stands a few more photos, several being family vacation pictures and others of Kobie at wrestling matches. I glance over at one with Kobie standing next to a referee who holds his hand up in the air. He had just won a match and his face gleams with sweat and a smile is stretched across it. The picture is taken at an angle so it only shows the side profile of Kobie.

"That was when I won nationals last year," I hear Kobie say from behind me. I turn around to find him standing in the doorway drinking from a freshly opened can of Coke. He puts the can on a little table next to the door that has a small lamp on it, and walks over to the fireplace. He shoves his hands in his pockets as he looks at the pictures. "My mother loves family pictures, along with events and anything that could look good for college." He smiles and picks up a metal frame with a picture of them in what looks like a jungle. "This is when we went to Venezuela two years ago. My grandmother is from there, and my father thought it would be nice to see where his mother grew up before she moved to America." He smiles and places the photo back down on the mantle and walks over to the couch and sits down. I continue to look at the pictures for a few more seconds before I walk over and join him.

He sits slumped with his feet up on the ottoman and the Coke in his hand. He takes a sip then looks over and winks at me and for the first time I feel pissed that he is flirting with me.

"Kobie..." I start, "what the hell do you want? Honestly what is this? What am I?"

He lets out a sigh before he looks away. "You... you are something I want but can't have."

"What is that supposed to mean?" I ask thinking about what he said. How is it that I am something that he could possibly want, but can't have. How long has Kobie wanted me? How long have I wanted Kobie? Kobie chuckles a little before answering me.

"Evans, I am going places. I am a top wrestler that colleges and universities want. They want me to wrestle for them and are willing to play for my classes as long as I keep up."

"And what am I, nothing?" I ask as I turn to face him, obviously insulted.

"You are something too, but we are two different people with two different lives. Evans I want to wrestle my way to the top, and be a couch. I want to make stars and become famous."

"And I will just be working in a Goddamn cubical, right?"

"Evans," he says stretching his hand out towards me. "stop overreacting. You will go places but we are going in two different places and I j-"