Chapter 10

One thing you will learn about parties at Maple Hills is that they are large. Much like the large extravagant parties of Gatsby, we have no limits of alcohol or people; no limit to the music, and shouts of people. The houses are large and the parties are larger, filled with even larger energies. 

William pulls up the large, long driveway up to the gravel that surrounds a large fountain that stands tall in front of a red bricked mansion.Allison and I look out the window, admiring the build, before Allison turns to William. "Who's house is this again?"

"Audrey McRoberts," William says as he parks the car in an empty spot in front of the fountain. "The ladies soccer team captain."

Allison turns and looks at me with a worried look before she opens the door and crawls out of the car, causing William and I to do the same. The moment I open the door, the sound of loud music races out of the house, filling the air with beats and only gets louder as we walk towards the front door.

"What time did the party start?"Allison asks William.

"I think at eleven," he says looking down at his watch. "Three hours ago."

Allison rolls her eyes just as we reach the door and William reaches and knocks on the door. A few seconds pass while people shuffle inside and the music is lowered. A small girl with brown hair and glasses opens the door with a look of terror, but realizes it's not the cops and relaxes.

"What the hell," She says. "You guys are three hours late. We thought you were the cops."

William smiles as his face becomes red with blush, and she opens the door, exposing the overpacked front room filled with drunk students and other people that could not be named. We walk in and the music is suddenly turned back up and people continue shouting and screaming and dancing and drinking. The girl shuts the door and disappears into the crowd, assumed to come out when the next person knocks at the door. We pass a large group of drunk Lacrosse players who are shouting into each others ears. One of them backs up into, causing me to run into a girl who yells at me and shoves me back.

"I'm sorry," I say as Allison grabs my arms and pulls my into the kitchen which is less populated. Couples stand around in random spots of the kitchen making out, and a few people sit alone with their heads hanging low from drinking too much. I hear screams and shouts and look out the window where I see more people gathered, and a large group of them in the pool. My heart drops when I see Kobie in the pool with a girl sitting on his shoulder. I look and notice that most of his cuts have healed but he still has a bruise on his jaw and a black eye, along with a scrap on the side of his head. I look at him and wonder what the nurses told his parents, let alone what he had to tell them.

I saw his father at one of his matches on day, and he did not seem like the type of father who would let his son be beat. He was a tall narrow man with a disappointed look on his face, and yelled at Kobie every time he got pinned and would tell him that he is wasting away his scholarship. His mother, a petite woman with brown hair just sat next to him with a small smile on his face, clearly distracted by his money instead of his words.

Kobie laughs and splashes a few of the people in the pool with him before he leans back and grabs a bottle of what I assume is beer, and starts to drink it. Some of the people chant causing him to chug it before he violently throws it at the wall, causing it to shatter. Then a thin girl with a red two piece bikini hands him another, which he starts to chug again.

I sigh and turn to see Allison trying to get past a couple nearly having sex on the counter as she reaches for a beer. She grabs three, and hands one to each of us before we all clink them together and start drinking. I hear more shouting followed by the sound of smashing glass from outside. I turn and see that Kobie has a girl with a long green shirt on his shoulders. I turn back to Allison and William, and we start walking around and exploring the house.