Chapter 26

My grandmother and I sat on my bed talking about Kobie. I told her everything I knew about him, and all the things we did, all except that fact that I had sex with him. I told her how we went on little dates, and that he was sexy and muscular and that he was the top wrestler. She raised an eyebrow in surprise that someone like that would like guys, but I was just as shocked as her when I found out. She would nod her head, and ask questions and acted as if she were in high school. After I finished talking, I asked her not to tell my mother, and she swore she wouldn't, and we made our way downstairs where my mother was watching a movie and drinking a glass of wine. My grandmother poured herself and a glass and we joined my mother on the couch.

My grandmother ended up stayed the whole weekend and left early Monday morning. The talk I had with her gave me enough time and thought to gather my thoughts and peacefully talk to Kobie and to figure out what we could do, and I knew exactly what I should do.

-

My mother drops me off at school and I dart straight towards gym class. I know Kobie will be there getting dressed, and the locker room is usually empty at that time, giving me just a few minutes to talk to him. I run down the hallways and towards the gym when I stop dead in my tracks. Right in front of the gym, Kobie stands with a girl holding his hand, and desperately trying to hold Kobie as close to her as she possibly can. In front of them is TJ and another wrestler. They stand there talking to each other, which I assume is about the wrestling tournament coming up. The girl finally turns around and I nearly scream. The girl wrapped around Kobie is none other than Audrey McRoberts. The same girl that through the party a month ago, and the same girl that was on Kobie's shoulder in the pool.

"That stupid bitch," I remember in my grandmothers voice as I stand in the hallway watching them.

Kobie continues to talk to Kobie and smiles before his eyes shift and he sees me looking at him. His smile drops and his face becomes very serious. He shakes his head a little just as TJ and Audrey look over at me.

"Well isn't it the little faggot," TJ snarls at me. Audrey lets out a little giggle and covers her mouth.

"Yeah, fuck you TJ." I say violently.

"The fuck did you just say to me you fucking homo," TJ says as he starts to walk over. Kobie stops him with his hand to his chest and whispers something to him. TJ looks at me, then back as Kobie and backs up a little. Audrey stills looks at both of them with her hand covering her mouth, then looks at me.

Kobie steps forward and quickly walks up to me and grabs my shoulder hard before shoving me into a locker.

"Are you trying to fucking die Joshua." He says quietly.

"No! But I thought it would be some time before you got a skanky bitch hanging off your shoulder." I say as I rip is hand off my shoulder.

"Damn it Joshua," He yells as he punches the locker next to me. I flinch to the loud bang, and a few students turn to face us for a few seconds, then go back to what they were doing. "I fucking told you, I'm not a fag like you."

He puts his hand down, and I can see little drops of blood dripping from his freshly busted knuckles.

"Clearly," I say pointing my chin in Audreys direction.

"Jesus Joshua, you never let up do you? I am not gay okay. This," He says moving his other hand back and forth between us," is never happening. It will never happen. I was drunk and I kissed you and I was curious okay. I am sorry, but I was curious. That's all."

I look into his hazel eyes and this time I see emptiness. I see hatred and embarrassment. But I also see a hint of regret, like what he is doing is wrong, and knows it.

"Okay," I say.

He continues to look at me for a second before he quickly looks away. "Good."

"Do me a favor, yeah?" I say.

He turns to me and looks at me with an annoyed face.

"Just ask TJ who jumped you in the locker room? I'm sure he would have a lot to say." With that I turn, bumping Kobie with my shoulder and walking down the hall.

"Yeah you better walk away faggot!" I hear TJ say as I turn and walk towards gym class.

-

Kobie continues to be quiet in gym class. Not that he wasn't quiet, but he was definitely thinking about something, and if I had to guess, it would be about what I asked him. Kobie has yet to learn that TJ and Jimmy were the ones who jumped in the locker room a few months ago. During the period, Kobie continues to sneak glances at me, like the answer he is looking for will suddenly pop out of me in any second.

I walk into the locker room, pulling the sweaty shirt from off of my, just like many of the other students in the locker room. Kobie walks in, a look of both confusion and deep thought on his face. He walks straight to his locker and begins to undress and I can't help but stare at his muscular back as the muscles move and tense as he slips on his shirt. He quickly pulls off his shorts and slips on his jeans just as I sit down and begin to slip on my shoes.

Kobie finished getting dressed, but sits on the bench just a few feet away from me. I slip on my other shoe and watch as students begin to walk out and the locker rooms becomes empty.

I get up, slinging my backpack over my shoulder but am stopped with a question from Kobie.

"What do you mean, 'ask TJ'?" Kobie says as he slowly looks up at me. This time his eyes are sad.

"I," I begin to say but am suddenly struck down. I did not know what to tell Kobie, or even how to tell him. "Oh yeah, I forgot to tell you, TJ and Jimmie beat you up in the locker room, but now you are best pals. That's all I meant to say, no biggie." He continues to look at me then turns and grabs his back.

"Never mind Evans," He says as he walks past me, followed by the smell of his cologne.

"Kobie," I say suddenly as he reaches for the door. "Did you ever love me, or like me? Or were you being serious earlier when you said you were just curious?"

He looks down at the floor and lets out a sigh.

"Evans," He says as he turns to me. His eyes are sad, and regretful and for some reason I feel a tinge of hope and step forward towards him. The thought of kissing him floods my mind and all I want is to be held by him again, to kiss him and feel his skin pressed against mine. All I want it to be there with him and protect him from TJ and Jimmy. I know I am small and weaker than them but the thought makes me smile a bit.

Suddenly the bell rings and Kobie turns towards the door. "I have to go, Evans." He says as he walks out of the door, and I see him walk down the gym as the door slowly closes before I am left alone in the locker room.

"That stupid bitch."