Chapter 9.4 |Hero

John PoV

                                       I’m useless                                                       I want to stay
I’m dangerous     
                                                                                  It's for the best
        N-no                           Yes.  
                                                                                                                                                     “You mean a lot to me”

Just leave without me
                                             I am incapable of change
                 “You have changed”                                                   I don’t know

      “You trust me, don’t you?”                                  I- Sera-
                                                                                      “Then believe me when I say-”

“I trust you.”

“Copy my ability and let’s go!”, she urged. I looked up at her. Her eyes were panicked and desperate. I didn’t know what to do, I shouldn’t, I can’t leave! I’m dang- but she trusts me. After everything, she trusted me. Those couldn’t be  empty words, I saw it in her shining blues; she meant every single word she said. 

“Just do it you moron!”, she said, grabbing me by the shoulders. Our faces were so close that I could feel her shaky, warm breath on my chapped lips. She peered into my eyes, demanding a reaction. If I am to follow anyone, it's gonna be her.

I obeyed, letting my eyes glow. 

I was flooded with raw power. It was almost too much for me to handle, I didn’t expect it. I took a deep breath and said, “I forgot how OP your ability was.”, I gave her a weak smile, fiddling with my bangs awkwardly.

I heard her chuckle quietly and I suddenly felt Sera’s weight on me as she wrapped her arms around my neck, hugging me tightly. My back pressed against the  wall, I embraced and held her, caught off guard.

“I really thought Keon got to you, John.”, Sera whispered in my ear.

I sighed, tracing the bumps of her spine with my thumb, “He did.”, I said, “But, I trust your judgment over his.”

I felt her stiffen. But she still rested her head on my shoulder, hiding her small face in the nape of my neck. I breathed in her delicate scent, if I could stay like this forever, I would. I closed  my eyes briefly, wanting this moment to last.

click  

I snapped my eyes open, freezing time and space around me. I looked to the open door, where a padded and shielded man was standing, gun raised and activated. That was close. I unfroze the girl in my arms, leaving everything else in a cool grey.

She glanced up at me and then turned to see what I was looking at, “We need to get out of here.”, she said, standing up.

“Agreed.”, I paced to the guard and elbowed him across the face, knocking the gun from his hands. He crashed into the concrete wall opposite the door, while Sera and I jogged to the next entry.